Regiment Ramblings (What If?)

I really wish they'd bring back shows like 1993 and 1994.  Both those shows had some of the best of Phantom performancewise while also having a fresh, modern feel.  I almost think they could do either of those shows today and be competitive. 

Thinking more of a 2007 "On Air" vibe.  Possibly one of the most underrated shows ever.

• Like 7

On 10/16/2018 at 4:19 PM, fifer said:

I really wish they'd bring back shows like 1993 and 1994.  Both those shows had some of the best of Phantom performancewise while also having a fresh, modern feel.  I almost think they could do either of those shows today and be competitive. 

The days of rehashed shows are done and PR needs to stay away from that trap.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, DFA1970 said:

Unfortunately I don't see this with the current staff. To me the top 5 are on another level performance and design wise.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Pitts writing is too formulaic based on someone's else's writing style of years past.  He is not creative at all and his music suffers from lack of creativity and invention.  As someone who was in PR when Pitts was said to me,  Pitts took himself way to seriously as a coverup.   PR needs someone to come in and take over and kick them in the pants creatively.

Edited by EricS

10 hours ago, EricS said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  Pitts writing is too formulaic based on someone's else's writing style of years past.  He is not creative at all and his music suffers from lack of creativity and invention.  As someone who was in PR when Pitts was said to me,  Pitts took himself way to seriously as a coverup.   PR needs someone to come in and take over and kick them in the pants creatively.

Agreed, last year showed this in the extreme.  I would add besides formulaic, abstract and misses any sort of musical point.  I have no idea why they haven't gotten someone else in to write the music.  Not saying he is bad, just more suited for BOA.  You are talking creativity, I am simply hoping for a ###### good drum corps show.

• Like 1

Phantom got locked into a certain style of show for a long time....and then the game changed. players changed, but if results didnt live up to expectations, new players came in. Phantom needs to unburden themselves of trying to maintain the tradition of Phantom shows past, and design for what is working today. In addition, the competition at the top is much stronger than ever. The days of Phantom being somewhere 2-6 are over...ask Madison who has slid even further down. The emergence of Bluecoats, Crown and now Boston, plus the resurgence of the Cavies has made it super tight at the top, and you know Cadets are itching to break back up into that level with all of the recent developments and personnel changes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Phantom got locked into a certain style of show for a long time....and then the game changed. players changed, but if results didnt live up to expectations, new players came in. Phantom needs to unburden themselves of trying to maintain the tradition of Phantom shows past, and design for what is working today. In addition, the competition at the top is much stronger than ever. The days of Phantom being somewhere 2-6 are over...ask Madison who has slid even further down. The emergence of Bluecoats, Crown and now Boston, plus the resurgence of the Cavies has made it super tight at the top, and you know Cadets are itching to break back up into that level with all of the recent developments and personnel changes. 

I disagree.  You can embrace the past and still write a good show for today.  I haven't seen that in a while now.  Hell there is no reason (other than a good show) Phantom can't break into the top 6 or win even.  Heck there is no reason Madison can't break top 6 as well.  This pigeon holing you are doing makes no sense.  It's simply a matter of getting it together.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I disagree.  You can embrace the past and still write a good show for today.  I haven't seen that in a while now.  Hell there is no reason (other than a good show) Phantom can't break into the top 6 or win even.  Heck there is no reason Madison can't break top 6 as well.  This pigeon holing you are doing makes no sense.  It's simply a matter of getting it together.

embrace the past yes. continue to follow the same basic formula year after year after year after year...no. 

• Like 2