Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

3 hours ago, danielray said:

When kids are playing at the level Tarpon does, they have already done a fantastic job with the education part and are focused on performance.

This actually has everything to do with music education, in fact, they've nailed it. Listen to their wind ensemble, their jazz band, and try to suggest they don't have music education absolutely locked.

This is a program that is 100% about education. 

They played? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

All I was thinking, and I said this on my Facebook page, was how much did those cost?   

My question is: Did they enhance or did they distract? There may be a way for them to add value to a show but this wasn’t it.  I think this is like the infancy of A&E ... a tentative first step but clumsy right now. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

My question is: Did they enhance or did they distract? There may be a way for them to add value to a show but this wasn’t it.  I think this is like the infancy of A&E ... a tentative first step but clumsy right now. 

My opinion?  I don’t think it added much. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My opinion?  I don’t think it added much. 

But that trophy they will get this season will look so nice in the case in decades to come..... collecting dust....

As someone who has seen the show in person and knows Tarpon since “99” they don’t really distract. They do draw your eye  where they want the effect to go which is a plus. They do use them well, like breaking them apart and putting them back together rather then staying in one spot the entire time.

This is high school?  Freakin' amazing.

When they played.

Digital screens?  Meh.  Pretty.  Pretty expensive for, essentially BK "out there-ness".  Maybe this is the first edition of the new event-horizon of the A&E arms race.

I can't help wonder about the member experience, hauling all that gear around on the field.  And, if (when) it transfers to the drum corps idiom, where band-Mom's and Dad's are relatively rare, most of the responsibility for hauling, staging, and placing all that crap will make up an increasing amount of the member's time on the field.  And they're paying to be both performer and laborer.

Tarpon, you have a very nice band.

And Daniel Ray, for a different example of "nailed" music education from an org that puts music education first above props, and the kids only had to carry their instruments on and off the field (and they played the whole show!):

The Lexington, OH show is the equivalent of June in drum corps terms.

(Won't let me embed, if someone else has better luck, please help)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA7zRP4KRo

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, danielray said:

When kids are playing at the level Tarpon does, they have already done a fantastic job with the education part and are focused on performance.

This actually has everything to do with music education, in fact, they've nailed it. Listen to their wind ensemble, their jazz band, and try to suggest they don't have music education absolutely locked.

This is a program that is 100% about education. 

Nothing more than moving more furniture around the field...

More importantly...I'd really like to know how you have a NEGATIVE  1,159,040 REPUTATION.....lol

• Haha 2

Perhaps a drum corps could run ads on those screens to help pay for them. 

Good way to add vocal narrative, too.  "We'll be right back with the second half of our show, after this message from Microsoft."  :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4