Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

We keep evaluating marching band and drum corps in terms of "music education". Technically speaking, the first time we took a step outside the "music education" was compromised.   I choose to think in much broader terms, such "artistic education". So much of the arts are in hybrid forms, such as ballet, opera, etc., why should the marching arts be any different? Just as ballet is a hybrid of music and dance, why can't the marching arts be viewed the same? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, garfield said:

The Lexington, OH show is the equivalent of June in drum corps terms.

(Won't let me embed, if someone else has better luck, please help)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA7zRP4KRo

The show announcer... at first I thought it was David Letterman.  LOL

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Highwaydude said:

What a great show this year by Tarpon Springs. I wonder who in DCI will be first to bring this to the field in 2019

Last year at BOA, Broken Arrow rode a four wheeled bike like vehicle on the field and  folks decided everyone in 2018 would do the same. Unless I missed something in Indy, I didn’t see anyone copy it. So I hope no one copies it and allows this school to receive the applause for a show well done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Found myself not really watching them. That said, I wonder if they took into consideration those audience and marching members that may have health issues where this may be harmful.

I didn't watch but if you mean flashing that could be harmful to those with seizure conditions it should not be allowed. Not like the affected people can get up and leave quick. Even if a seizure does not occur it can still make one physically sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

I didn't watch but if you mean flashing that could be harmful to those with seizure conditions it should not be allowed. Not like the affected people can get up and leave quick. Even if a seizure does not occur it can still make one physically sick.

That's what I'm referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Last year at BOA, Broken Arrow rode a four wheeled bike like vehicle on the field and  folks decided everyone in 2018 would do the same. Unless I missed something in Indy, I didn’t see anyone copy it. So I hope no one copies it and allows this school to receive the applause for a show well done.

Just a nit: last year was actually the second time Broken Arrow used those pedal-carts.

12 hours ago, garfield said:

And Daniel Ray, for a different example of "nailed" music education from an org that puts music education first above props, and the kids only had to carry their instruments on and off the field (and they played the whole show!):

The Lexington, OH show is the equivalent of June in drum corps terms.

(Won't let me embed, if someone else has better luck, please help)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA7zRP4KRo

I must have watched that Grove City video a dozen times already. (They beat my alma mater at that competition--quite rightly!) It's not as good as Grove City's show last year--but it might surpass 2017 strictly on musical terms. (The flute solo on the "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" this year is superior to the trumpet solo on "Bring Him Home" from Les Mes last year.)

Tarpon's video screens are great, but... how tall is that featured guard member?