Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

All of you are acting as if what Tarpon Springs is doing is brand-new. It isn’t. I’ve seen TV screens used several times before in the marching arts, starting with Ayala HS’s indoor percussion, then spreading to that same school’s band, Blue Springs HS’s Grand National Finals debut show in 2015... The list goes on. It’s actually pretty surprising that no DCI corps have touched it yet.

By the way, a couple of the masterminds behind this band’s designs over the years are Kevin Ford and Michael Shapiro, which is why I like to nickname the TSOPE “Blue Stars South.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

All of you are acting as if what Tarpon Springs is doing is brand-new. It isn’t. I’ve seen TV screens used several times before in the marching arts, starting with Ayala HS’s indoor percussion, then spreading to that same school’s band, Blue Springs HS’s Grand National Finals debut show in 2015... The list goes on. It’s actually pretty surprising that no DCI corps have touched it yet. 

Being more of a literal person, I doubt your first sentence is accurate.  I have no idea who did something like this first, could care less who first did it, and still hoping no D&BC does it.  The D&BC coffin is running out of space for those nails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

You'll have to wait until next year T.

Those if us in Boston are not waiting until next year!:sigh:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Those if us in Boston are not waiting until next year!:sigh:

Still a Boston professional sports fan from afar, but if the pitching, especially Kimbrel, doesn't get better, we might be joining Teri on the next year bus.  And will some one tell the batters that when they have two strikes and two or less balls on them, there's a very good chance the next pitch is going to end up in the dirt. 

23 hours ago, danielray said:

When kids are playing at the level Tarpon does, they have already done a fantastic job with the education part and are focused on performance.

This actually has everything to do with music education, in fact, they've nailed it. Listen to their wind ensemble, their jazz band, and try to suggest they don't have music education absolutely locked.

This is a program that is 100% about education. 

music education now is very technology driven, often tying into the visual.

We have seen some of this in indoor, so it was only a matter of time until someone did it well and brought it to the field. 

11 hours ago, Liahona said:

Nothing more than moving more furniture around the field...

More importantly...I'd really like to know how you have a NEGATIVE  1,159,040 REPUTATION.....lol

had to be here about 7-10 years ago

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

I remember initially being drawn to DCI because it rewarded the “hard” way to do GE, with innovative drill and visuals. I got into the activity specifically because I found the BOA prop arms race to be lame.

I wish DCI would go back to leading the charge instead of piggybacking off of high school bands. Getting high GE scores without props is hard, I get it. That’s what used to make drum corps special though.

parts of me agree, but I get the logic as to why band first anymore:

risk reward. if it works in the band world, where the risk is far less, and since the judging community is so inbred, then it's easier to roll it out in DCI knowing it'll be accepted.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

parts of me agree, but I get the logic as to why band first anymore:

risk reward. if it works in the band world, where the risk is far less, and since the judging community is so inbred, then it's easier to roll it out in DCI knowing it'll be accepted.

Don’t say inbred... someone might get the ideas for banjos, canoe trips and Burt Reynolds.... lol

or Jeff Dunham’s Bubba J....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'll wait for the Cavies to do this with a show that's themed around internet memes like they did with Propaganda.   it'd annoy me from an artistic point of view perhaps, but I'd still laugh my ### off if they did it as effectively as Propaganda was done.