Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do, too.  My head is spinning.  😂

Put your hands on either side of your head to keep it from exploding lol.

for me might be the sound of an empty balloon popping but why take chances 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh yes band parents squealing is now the deciding factor in quality of product lol 

Memories of catching hades for yelling out to a corps mate who was helping set up the field for another band. 

Band parent: you should cheer for your band

me: I cheer for me friends (wasn’t even a cheer just telling my buddy he could carry equipment real well lol)

kicker was later Jeff’s dad (working with yet another band) came up to watch their show and he sat next to me and my family. Man did I get the hairy eyeball for that one

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It wasn't my first thought, but I do have to wonder if a drum corps who can afford to rent and transport these for a season might better use those assets to provide better conditions for the members' experience.  For instance, how many housing nights in a hotel before finals do those buy?  How many days of catered meals from local stop-overs while on tour?  How much better design and instruction can PC or Academy or Blue Stars buy with the assets they have to spend on props just to get GE.

Speaking for my (OC) corps only, our props =

.33 hotel housing nights

2.5 *nice* catered meals

5 cheap bought meals

Now to be fair, our props were just a bunch of wooden columns.

Mike

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I completely agree.

The poor members of marching band and drum Corps are at the mercy of the creative staffs ideas which is becoming ridiculous.  frustrated Broadway and Hollywood wannabes is all they have become.  They have  proven that they have absolutely no control and exploit every indulgence they think of without even considering what it may or may not add to a show.  Not to mention expense and logistics of moving the stuff around.  need more proof just look at the recent announcement Crossmen productions?  Why don't we just say Newcastle films or Lions gate etc 

Oh please let me  win one of these mega lotteries going on right now. people will see a drum Corps like none other if I have the chance.  It would be a lesson in back to basics with a modern execution level 

On the other hand, corps members have *always* been at the mercy of design staffs, even when it was just "do we play Dindi or La Suerte this year?"

What are some shows where you think the props went overboard and didn't add anything?

Mike

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

To add a little here....I’ve heard the powers-that-be complaining about the ever increasing yearly budgets but they never say this has to stop.  They just keep complaining. 

Complaining is a crucial component of the fundraising strategy.

17 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Now to be fair, our props were just a bunch of wooden columns.

Mike

Hmmm maybe corps could recruit for young people to be part of field crew to maintain props (construction, electrical, etc). Instead of musical education by touring it would be other types of on hand training.

reminded me the “shoppies” were responsible for building and maintaining props for our HS musicals. The musicals we did kinda sucked but electrical work for a few scenes were excellent. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

18 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t say inbred... someone might get the ideas for banjos, canoe trips and Burt Reynolds.... lol

or Jeff Dunham’s Bubba J....

squeal for me

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I completely agree.

The poor members of marching band and drum Corps are at the mercy of the creative staffs ideas which is becoming ridiculous.  frustrated Broadway and Hollywood wannabes is all they have become.  They have  proven that they have absolutely no control and exploit every indulgence they think of without even considering what it may or may not add to a show.  Not to mention expense and logistics of moving the stuff around.  need more proof just look at the recent announcement Crossmen productions?  Why don't we just say Newcastle films or Lions gate etc 

Oh please let me  win one of these mega lotteries going on right now. people will see a drum Corps like none other if I have the chance.  It would be a lesson in back to basics with a modern execution level 

if kids didnt want to do it, they wouldn't join. 

11 hours ago, danielray said:

Fascinating how two people can look at the same thing and have radically different thoughts.

I wondered:

1) Did they rent or buy those?

2) I hoped they bought so that they could use to rent out to public in off season as a solid revenue generating opportunity.

Addressing your third thought... it is not the job of high school band boosters to solve housing or food challenges. That is not their purpose and there are plenty of government and community programs to address these issues. This is like lamenting over the fact that Beyonce and Jay-Z bought a 13th new house for themselves when that money could be better used by NASA to buy weather balloons.

housing no, but at show sites, that can hog up a lot of space logistically