Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Memories of catching hades for yelling out to a corps mate who was helping set up the field for another band. 

Band parent: you should cheer for your band

me: I cheer for me friends (wasn’t even a cheer just telling my buddy he could carry equipment real well lol)

kicker was later Jeff’s dad (working with yet another band) came up to watch their show and he sat next to me and my family. Man did I get the hairy eyeball for that one

shoulda been around TOB in 92. Mechanicsburg did a Beauty and the Beast show, and had the teacups etc out there. CV parents made up buttons with teacups on them with a slash thru them ala Ghostbusters. other parents around them got annoyed so the next week they showed up with buttons with CV in place of the teacups.

I may complain about spectator behavior at corps shows, but band world takes the cake. thats why i rarely go to a band show unless i am teaching or judging. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

shoulda been around TOB in 92. Mechanicsburg did a Beauty and the Beast show, and had the teacups etc out there. CV parents made up buttons with teacups on them with a slash thru them ala Ghostbusters. other parents around them got annoyed so the next week they showed up with buttons with CV in place of the teacups.

I may complain about spectator behavior at corps shows, but band world takes the cake. thats why i rarely go to a band show unless i am teaching or judging. 

CD did not compete when I was there and band parents mainly helped with fund raising. When sister was there competing 9 years later it was like a cat fight at times with some clicks. And Bill Saltzer was in charge at least one year so you know pettiness was down the line and not at the top

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It should also be noted that TS is one of those bands that kids in other bands usually flock to see perform (if possible). And lots of kids in those bands totally dig what they see and hear. And many of those kids are the next generation of DCI performers. By and large, they're not interested in looking backwards. They were wearing the costume look in their marching bands a few years before we saw them take over DCI. They were playing shows relying on heavy sampling and electronics long before the thunderous goo came to DCI. They've become more accustomed to that stuff and they want the next thing. They want that and they get excited about that, no matter how much the old curmudgeons around here (myself included, at times) would rather those things be kept out. So get used to it. It can't be stopped.

For the record, I don't think TS use these props in a particularly interesting or "imaginative" way, but one can clearly see the tremendous creative opportunities they can provide in the right design team's hands. Most notably, the instantaneous ways to add and remove color to the field, to bring the viewers' eyes to the focal point (this was an area where I felt they had trouble as it sometimes created a split focus at the wrong time). All of these concepts can be done in traditional ways, of course, but not like this. Again, if used well. Like any other design method. Sooner or later, we'll see somebody really knock it out of the park with these things. It's only a matter of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

On the other hand, corps members have *always* been at the mercy of design staffs, even when it was just "do we play Dindi or La Suerte this year?"

What are some shows where you think the props went overboard and didn't add anything?

Mike

Definitely Dindi. I need to hear that again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if kids didnt want to do it, they wouldn't join. 

You mean to tell me you were never part of a group or team where at some point you found yourself saying, "well, this is kinda lame", but you hung in there and saw it through anyway?  

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

It’s horrible. They will talk and eye roll through other band shows and then screech during “their” band. Not everyone but far too many 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You mean to tell me you were never part of a group or team where at some point you found yourself saying, "well, this is kinda lame", but you hung in there and saw it through anyway?  

Nope. I took 2 years off because I didn't like the shows. I know someone who made Cadets but went to march elsewhere because they didn't want to cut their hair.

Kids today don't give a flying #### about doing drum corps the way it used to be done. They like that the boundaries keep being pushed, they like the technology being included, the uniforms being what they are now. They respect the past but don't want to do it.

• Like 2

leave it to DCPI to have a bunch of old farts rip apart high school kids---this post is one reason DCPI is such a horrible place to come.  I dont know why I do it hoping to actually see anything positive or even somewhat informative.  

I watched the show live--was great--was not distracting to anyone over the age of 5 -- they sounded great too and have a real shot at winning.  If nothing else it was pretty original and no first try at a new direction is never perfect no matter which band or corps you think is the best in the universe, but they are experimenting.  Budget, Ill give you because that couldn't be cheap but people come on...you almost all always sound so sour about EVERYTHING here.  Your mothers should have taught you, if you dont have something nice to say.....

blow up all you want at this response because every time I come here I see this kind of crap that keeps me away for a good few months at least--hope you keep bringing new DCPIers in somehow tho--its here truly to support the marching arts which it needs especially now  

• Like 3

Who ripped the kids?