Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

Since you'll call me the original Poster...  I complimented the band right off the bat in my first post. I never said anything negative towards the band. As a fan of DCI I have not seen any use of digital screens since i've been following and my post was geared towards who and how soon we may see it incorporated into a DCI show. This weekend while watching it on FloMarching I was very impressed. I personally think they are cool and add much to the GE of the show.  Now since my original post I can't control how numerous posts to this point have spun the direction I intended but as a follower on DCP..  I am not shocked at all. At times its better I just read and not interact because you'll get torn to pieces very quickly on here. 

I'll stick to my original post and i'll say it again. I loved Tarpons Show this year! Pushing the envelope further in creativity on the field. 

Now carry on and continue to rip everyone apart. 

Edited by Highwaydude

8 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

It should also be noted that TS is one of those bands that kids in other bands usually flock to see perform (if possible). And lots of kids in those bands totally dig what they see and hear. <snip>

Do they really "dig" what they're seeing?  Or are they digging it because adult judges are rewarding those things and telling those performing kids what wins in "Cool!" land.

I'm significantly confident that, if drum corps judges told those same kids that analog, prop-less performances of musical and visual excellence can win without props or, even A&E!, band kids who are full of A&E would flock to drum corps and analog "DCI" would be Cool again.

Few would argue that the pendulum of the activity has swung wildly in favor of "anything goes" and "We'll judge what we see" (aka, excuses for unfinished shows), and it's reasonable that, similar to society, it might be time for drum corps to perform and compete under a different and, maybe, more stringent set of more-objective metrics.

Tell kids that performing excellence within "these defined" guardrails (whatever) is rewarded with outstanding teaching, performance excellence, and Saturday night "roar of the crowd" performances and they will flock to the winners in that idiom.  Doing so teaches the same performance and "life" lessons as the activity does now and ONLY excludes the avante-gard designers who wish to make their bones on the backs of performers paying, and playing, for applause only.  Seriously, in an activity where $15,000 can easily DOUBLE the money spent on WC/OC staff, even if renting these screens and their transports costs just $5,000 a season is, IMO, awfully hard to justify.

Tell the kids that inspections before performances are a way to win and watch how fast you see uniform standards change.

The adults of DCI lead the activity.  It is their interpretation of "today's kids" that sets their policy of performance standards.  They are sheep largely with a belief that they must follow the herd to be relevant, and they don't need to be.

Being different in what is valued is taught and directed by the leaders of the activity.  Don't be fooled into thinking that the kids won't adapt with excellence if the adults establish what's valued with a high score.

IMO, anyway.

Edited by garfield

6 hours ago, gcurrier said:

leave it to DCPI to have a bunch of old farts rip apart high school kids---this post is one reason DCPI is such a horrible place to come.  I dont know why I do it hoping to actually see anything positive or even somewhat informative.  

I watched the show live--was great--was not distracting to anyone over the age of 5 -- they sounded great too and have a real shot at winning.  If nothing else it was pretty original and no first try at a new direction is never perfect no matter which band or corps you think is the best in the universe, but they are experimenting.  Budget, Ill give you because that couldn't be cheap but people come on...you almost all always sound so sour about EVERYTHING here.  Your mothers should have taught you, if you dont have something nice to say.....

blow up all you want at this response because every time I come here I see this kind of crap that keeps me away for a good few months at least--hope you keep bringing new DCPIers in somehow tho--its here truly to support the marching arts which it needs especially now  

i'm teaching my kids irony right now

thanks for this

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

To add a little here....I’ve heard the powers-that-be complaining about the ever increasing yearly budgets but they never say this has to stop.  They just keep complaining. 

Interestingly, in most orgs, the two aren't connected and the pressure for designing around props and gimmicks is coming from the designers because they know, from their meetings with DCI, what it will take to win.  

There's never enough money, period.  It doesn't matter how much the corps makes, it's never enough.  That's exactly why performance adjudication should not be influenced by the dollars spent on a show designed around props and A&E.. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

It’s horrible. They will talk and eye roll through other band shows and then screech during “their” band. Not everyone but far too many 

I am very happy I taught the band I taught for 24 years. Our parents were ALWAYS positive to the other bands, no matter who the band was. That whole over the top sort of thing is, I am glad to say, alien to us. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gcurrier said:

leave it to DCPI to have a bunch of old farts rip apart high school kids---this post is one reason DCPI is such a horrible place to come.  I dont know why I do it hoping to actually see anything positive or even somewhat informative.  

I watched the show live--was great--was not distracting to anyone over the age of 5 -- they sounded great too and have a real shot at winning.  If nothing else it was pretty original and no first try at a new direction is never perfect no matter which band or corps you think is the best in the universe, but they are experimenting.  Budget, Ill give you because that couldn't be cheap but people come on...you almost all always sound so sour about EVERYTHING here.  Your mothers should have taught you, if you dont have something nice to say.....

blow up all you want at this response because every time I come here I see this kind of crap that keeps me away for a good few months at least--hope you keep bringing new DCPIers in somehow tho--its here truly to support the marching arts which it needs especially now  

Hey! Old phart here who really loved the video! I used to correspond with a parent from Broken Arrow (probably 12-13 years ago now), and I loved what they were doing. His kids had graduated, but he stayed on to help build props and be part of the parent crew because he loved it so much. I would guess TS is as first class an outfit.

As for budget, I'm sure it was expensive. I am also sure, without any first hand knowledge, that a band the caliber of TS has it all covered from beginning to end in managing their budget. 

7 hours ago, gcurrier said:

In my opinion, you're being a little too sensitive.  The comments have been mostly complimentary or neutral on the show and no one has attacked the kids.

What's DCPI? 

Haven't seen anything positive or somewhat informative?  Then you need to spend more time here than you have in the past; you're obviously not paying enough attention.

Budget < IS > part of the discussion and, in the opinion of some, is a key consideration in an activity that runs, not on public school budgets, but on the ticketed value it provides and corporate/charitable support is attracts.

Hard to just ignore the elephant-in-the-room cost in the context of actual drum corps budgets.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

In my opinion, you're being a little too sensitive.  The comments have been mostly complimentary or neutral on the show and no one has attacked the kids.

What's DCPI? 

Haven't seen anything positive or somewhat informative?  Then you need to spend more time here than you have in the past; you're obviously not paying enough attention.

Budget < IS > part of the discussion and, in the opinion of some, is a key consideration in an activity that runs, not on public school budgets, but on the ticketed value is provides and corporate/charitable support is attracts.

Hard to just ignore the elephant-in-the-room cost in the context of actual drum corps budgets.

My guess is that for a marching band like Tarpon Springs, a LOT of the show design and operating budget comes from fund-raising by parents/kids, not the public school budget. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My guess is that for a marching band like Tarpon Springs, a LOT of the show design and operating budget comes from fund-raising by parents/kids, not the public school budget. 

There’s a band here in Illinois that the band boosters run an arts and craft fair that earns over $100k.  Band is an entirely different head...  lots of eager parents and fund raising.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1