Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

One thing that many people have overlooked is that this was Tarpon's first performance of the year - wouldn't we be better to wait til BOA finals to judge them and their use of the screens?

On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

I didn't watch but if you mean flashing that could be harmful to those with seizure conditions it should not be allowed. Not like the affected people can get up and leave quick. Even if a seizure does not occur it can still make one physically sick.

FYI #1: I posted this and whitedj2016 gave it a laughing face. I PM’ed asking why he/she thought it was funny and said it came across as ignorant at best. Received no explanation and got called an ###.

FYI #2: My late wife (7 months now) had a seizure condition and know what it is like to see someone suffer when crap hits the fan.

Taking time off before I say something about gaining maturity or empathy for others that gets me banned. Life is too short to deal with people like this.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 10:13 PM, Terri Schehr said:

All I was thinking, and I said this on my Facebook page, was how much did those cost?   

up front cost, but the reuse-ability may offset that, pixels vs brush strokes. I don't see it as a game changer. At the high school level, I would like to see the props done by the students, no matter what the media or construction. PROP class 101.

Wow, 14 pages on a marching band show, using props, in a drum corps forum.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

One thing that many people have overlooked is that this was Tarpon's first performance of the year - wouldn't we be better to wait til BOA finals to judge them and their use of the screens?

Good point.  By then the commercials will be added.  :laughing:

Seriously... you're right, whether those screens are a "one year wonder" or not could very well depend on how the show is performed, scored, and received by the fans. At the championship, where it matters most, when the show is completely fleshed out.

One of these years I'd love to get out to the BOA weekend. Some wild stuff going on there with several of those bands.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

FYI #1: I posted this and whitedj2016 gave it a laughing face. I PM’ed asking why he/she thought it was funny and said it came across as ignorant at best. Received no explanation and got called an ###.

FYI #2: My late wife (7 months now) had a seizure condition and know what it is like to see someone suffer when crap hits the fan.

Taking time off before I say something about gaining maturity or empathy for others that gets me banned. Life is too short to deal with people like this.

Man.... I hear that, Jim.

Never told anyone publicly about this until now... but late fall of 2007, a couple of weeks after Barbara got home from the rehab center following her stroke that summer, she suffered a significant seizure. Resulted in another trip to the ER. Scared the hell out of me... I thought I was gonna lose her right then and there.

The folks who know me best know I like to joke around, keep it light, as  much as possible.  But stuff like this... it's not funny. On any level.

You have shown remarkable restraint with the person you're dealing with here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Wow, 14 pages on a marching band show, using props, in a drum corps forum.

Hey, we have to find something to argue about in the offseason. :laughing:

Edited by CommanderCoconut
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Wow. You couldn't be more out of touch on this if you tried. (IMO, anyway.) And those kids are not as mindless as you make them out to be ("Hey, that band got a really high score. That must mean their show and everything in it is cool!"). They require little assistance from the "adults" to tell them what they think is cool. Often times, what they think is cool isn't even stuff that's being talked about in this thread.

As for the rest, I'm curious. When, in all of competitive drum corps history, has a design trend taken the activity someplace new and then everybody decided to go back to the way it used to be? Has it ever happened? I'm trying to think of a major shift in design over the decades that was jettisoned in favor of what came before and I'm coming up empty. Anyone? Bueller?? 

singing. that was kind of hot with Garfield ( and the one point penalty), then came back later ( Freelancers in the 80's, then of course Boston 99-02). thats about it.

and I agree....kids will rip on stuff regardless of score, and vice versa for liking it. I remember in 2012, watching BD in Allentown with a bunch of kids nearby literally trashing BD worse than anything on here that summer. 

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Absolutely true.  We would not be here if music educators had no influence over what the students think is "cool".

I wish you were correct here, too.  But the advice I keep hearing (probably from you at some point, too) is "follow the money".

The manufacturers of musical instruments and the ever-expanding array of related equipment are not just swinging the pendulum... they are tipping the clock over.  Follow the money.  They have turned drum corps into their own traveling salesmen.  DCI might as well change the motto to "Marching Music's Manufacturer Showroom".  The back stands at DCI events are wallpapered with advertising banners, bought and paid for by these companies - oh, sorry - "corporate partners".  So is anything DCI puts on the web.  Corps identified as important to marketing plans are offered enough in the way of discounts, rental deals, donations, etc., to get them to use (and advertise) their product - or lobby for product introduction to drum corps via rule changes.  Numerous individual corps staffers, and even judges, are paid "endorsers" for specific manufacturers/products.  How this is not a disqualifying conflict of interest for judges, I will never understand.  I do understand how all this causes the proliferation of such equipment in the activity.

Once upon a time, drum corps was a budget-conscious activity run by adults who were mindful of the extremely limited financial sponsorship their activity had, compared to scholastic music.  Proponents of the sweeping equipment changes can congratulate themselves for increasing that sponsorship... but at considerable cost.

or a corps could rent this from Tarpon for the summer at a discounted cost. Plus then sell Tarpon equipment they aren't using anymore.

There's lot of ways groups find to cut costs. I do agree at times you wonder when it ends, but the bottom line for a corps, the 4 biggest funding concerns are fuel, food, insurance and housing.