Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

1 hour ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

Nobody said a mean thing about "the kids."

People are discussing a potential new trend. That's it.

We've lost our ability to disagree. Everyone toggles over to victim status the first time someone disagrees with them. "Mom!  He's being mean to me..". 

It's gotten really old. Everyone wants to be in a grievance group so politicians can pander to them. Well, good luck with that. All you will ever get from the politicians, promises notwithstanding, is crumbs. Better to stand on your own two feet and stop playing the victim. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, CommanderCoconut said:

I'm a 16 year old who got into drum corps just 2 years ago. I really wish there was more of a mix of these contemporary, prop filled shows, as well as more traditional shows. They are two very different types of entertainment, and I dont want either of them to be abandoned. But I'm also not going to act like I know what's best for the activity, because im still very new here.

Your last sentence shows extreme maturity for your age.

But, you obviously need to get out more because, apparently, you're disconnected from the reality of H.S. band kids (as if that's possible!).

Kudos to you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

One thing that many people have overlooked is that this was Tarpon's first performance of the year - wouldn't we be better to wait til BOA finals to judge them and their use of the screens?

My comments are not performance-dependent.  But I'm sure they'll get better at the show as the season progresses.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Your last sentence shows extreme maturity for your age.

But, you obviously need to get out more because, apparently, you're disconnected from the reality of H.S. band kids (as if that's possible!).

Kudos to you.

Thank you very much. But what 'reality' are you talking about? Do you mean this obsession with props and electronics and such?

Edited by CommanderCoconut

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Yes, everybody. Hold off on all opinions until finals.

John D, time to shut down DCP until August.  Congrats to the mods on the well-deserved break.  I assume it'll be with pay. 

John is actually going to  gjve us TWICE our normal salary during the break!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, onionhead said:

up front cost, but the reuse-ability may offset that, pixels vs brush strokes. I don't see it as a game changer. At the high school level, I would like to see the props done by the students, no matter what the media or construction. PROP class 101.

The band I taught does a mix of parents with kids helping. It really makes a nice feeling of cameraderie and gets parents psyched. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

John is actually going to  gjve us TWICE our normal salary during the break!

Cue the Billy Preston music.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CommanderCoconut said:

Thank you very much. But what 'reality' are you talking about? Do you mean this obsession with props and electronics and such?

No, sorry, you and I agree.  I was poking fun at someone else seen-it-all who accused me of being completely out of touch with the reality of today's kids. (Sure.)  My comment wasn't directed at you; it apparently made more sense when I typed it than it did to you.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Wow, 14 pages on a marching band show, using props, in a drum corps forum.

(I apologize if someone else has already said it...)

...because the props on today's HS (i.e. publicly/donor-funded) will eventually show up in drum corps.  Makes perfect sense to me to discuss it here.

That said, again I ask, why is drum corps, the "Major League", constantly FOLLOWING?

There was a time in history when drum corps set the bar for bands to follow.  I bet a smart and accurate historian could connect drum corps becoming a butt-sniffing follower to the specific design decisions adopted, allowed, promoted, and judged by the wizards of smart who dominated DCI for decades.  I'm hopeful that most of that is a significant consideration by the new Board leaders of the activity as they consider how long they want to be butt-sniffers of publicly-funded high school kids.