Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

4 hours ago, BigW said:

A loaded question if ever there was one. :innocent:

If it works.... it enhances their success and placement, arguably enhancing the experience. Maybe not as much as enjoying Taco Night after a hard day's rehearsal for some members, but it would have some value.

better: it helps the kids being part of a truly interactive performance using technology as well as human made sights and sounds

• Like 2

On 10/17/2018 at 8:11 AM, BigW said:

BOA programs like this one have been well over 6 figures for a couple of decades now. They rely on serious hard core find raising. In some ways, the show is rather intriguing in some rather ironic directions- the signs saying that people see what they want to see or what they want them to see.... and at times ending up distracting the viewer totally from the fact kids are actually performing something even though they're staged to be clearly seen.

I'd thought of something like this.... but to be used in an extremely comedic way. Flashing "APPLAUD NOW" at certain points.... And flashing other pithy comments like "Obligatory Body Moves NOW!", and maybe even a "COKE REFRESHES!" or some fake sponsor message like on Prairie Home Companion.

As for effect..... How does one call it? At least BA's go-buggies were something that the performers had to perform with. They had to drive those things in formation... cue them.. and play while riding atop the daggone things. Something to take into consideration for sure. Loaded question- do the displays try and take the numbers out of the hands of the performers in one way or another? Serious question, and I think debatable. Would the program still have solid content without relying on the displays as a crutch? I'd hope so. At the BoA level, I'd hope and think adjudicators would call the Emperor stark naked if that was what they believed was happening.

I have these same ideas for years. I swore one day I would do a show like this. Have a big white prop at the back of the field labeled "prop", white flags with "flag" on them, etc. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you're going to spend 3-5k a season to march a show lasting tops 11:30, you're #### well going to like it or not march. otherwise you're basically phoning it in and not committing fully to the product or corps.

I hear what you are saying but years ago (late 90s) someone I knew marched with a top 4 corps at the time and said he felt the show was so so and unusual musically so the crowd probably won't like it much but I don't care I am just looking to forward to having fun and being away for the summer. With all the hush hush these days about what a show is going to be and keeps members in the dark and I doubt every member loves their corps show. 

Edited by Triple Forte

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

better: it helps the kids being part of a truly interactive performance using technology as well as human made sights and sounds

If that's the goal of the performance art on-field, absolutely! I think that's the crux of some of the argument. If so, how much? My guess is we'll find out that answer over the next 3-4 seasons.

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

I hear what you are saying but years ago (late 90s) someone I knew marched with a top 4 corps at the time and said he felt the show was so so and unusual musically so the crowd probably won't like it much but I don't care I am just looking to forward to having fun and being away for the summer. With all the hush hush these days about what a show is going to be and keeps members in the dark and I doubt every member loves their corps show. 

kids today will be more vocal about it in places where they can hide their identity, like reddit.

Having now seen the show in its entirety,  I can say it works for this show. The real problem with TS is they were dirty EVERYWHERE, and it may seem like they are using these digital boards as an eye trick to lure eyes away from the dirt. The other problem is when one of these boards goes dead like it did when I watched the show. It was a distraction that could not be ignored. 

If they clean the heck out of their show and ensure that none of these boards goes on the blink during their show, they are onto something here....as expensive as it is. The programming of the boards in conjunction with the music was spot on....it worked. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 7:47 AM, cixelsyd said:

Upon reflection, there are several explanations.

1.  Once upon a time (when drum corps was a budget-conscious activity run by adults who were mindful of the extremely limited financial sponsorship their activity had compared to scholastic music), drum corps also had a vision and identity for itself that took its unique situation into account.  Starting sometime around the creation of DCI, that vision/identity eroded gradually.

2.  Once upon a time, drum corps and other pageantry activities were guided by different people.  There were a significant number of directors, designers, instructors, judges and rulemakers in any one of these activities who did not serve in that same capacity in the other activities.  That distinction also eroded gradually over time such that today, drum corps people routinely work with competitive marching band, winter guard and their derivatives (WGI Winds, SoundSport, and so on), and vice versa.

3.  The competitive marching band activity has grown to where there are over 100 times as many such ensembles as DCI drum corps.  From a purely mathematical view, the odds of a trendworthy idea originating in drum corps should therefore be 100:1.

4.  Follow the money.  Scholastic marching band got where it is because they have help, from school budgets.

5.  And IMO, drum corps is not always following.  At the very least, I still see differences in design content that only touring drum corps can achieve.

1) There were also many corps pre-DCI that were not able to manage to budgets, due to the very shoe-string nature of the activity. Corps failed all the time through the 50's and 60's pre-DCI. One difference from later on is that if a corps failed in one place, another sprung up nearby. Once that slowed own, the corps numbers started to decline.

2) There were also many staff members who WERE scholastic music teachers pre-DCI. Many were not, but many were.

3) True

4) Not to mention scholastic-sponsored fund-raising as opposed to a mysterious "outside" activity like drum corps. School budgets are often paying stipends to some staff, just like coaches, but at least around me most of the design and props and stuff is not funded by the district, but by the band parents efforts. Bands with large staffs of techs, etc, also use parent-raised money to pay those people. 

5) Yup. Agree.

• Like 1