Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

First, this is a DRUM CORPS site. Why are we even allowing discussion of a band here? Has the activity completely lost its identify? (That may be more rhetorical than I had hoped it would be).

There are some differences between the two activities still- I do see this performance as a test/technology demonstrator for DCI. I think there are some high end things about the usage that's debatable- such as the feel at times that the designers were so enamored of the capabilities of the screens that they used some animated imagery that didn't really fit what was happening on the field or musically, more to wow people with what was possible with the technology. That's high end design issues/nitpicking, but in the sandbox Tarpon Springs play in, that's critical to success or failure.

And some of the crowd behaviors... yeah it's been trending towards the Band scene at Corps shows. At least with DCA this season there was a lot of appreciation for every group... though I have to wonder now with these things being mentioned... whether it's because of the old salts still showing up. You have that lame "THEY'RE ALWAYS READY!!!!!!" creeping in and sticking with the Bucs when the announcer asks if the corps is ready, which I loathe and have mentioned in reviews. I know Cadence mentioned in the UK, everyone tends to applaud only for the home team at contests, like here with a lot of the band scene.

It's a Brave New World. The technology and the audience behaviors... could go either way, for better or worse. I'll do what I can to push for the better...if enough people do, it'll be fine.

8 hours ago, Rocketman said:

First, this is a DRUM CORPS site. Why are we even allowing discussion of a band here? Has the activity completely lost its identify? (That may be more rhetorical than I had hoped it would be).

I think it is being allowed because the upper echelons of band programs and Drum corps have many things in common. Has the activity completely lost its identity? Well, that can be debated, or one can recognize its identity has most definitely changed, and so has the identity of bands. 

As a Dino that is just one banana peel away from from someone's gas tank,  the really good bands have helped me to accept the changes that are - and have happened to Drum corps. 

On 10/14/2018 at 11:25 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

But that trophy they will get this season will look so nice in the case in decades to come..... collecting dust....

Shiny plastic rules!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rufus67 said:

Shiny plastic rules!!!

Always think of Al Bundy of Married With Children. His life sucks but his claim to fame is “5 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High”. 

Seeing stories about old trophies always reminds me of the big display case in my HS for the best QB the football team ever had up to that point. Or as we called him “who the #### is that?” as was from 20 years earlier. Parents remembered he went to PSU on a scholarship and tore up his knee. Well at least he knows where his trophies are at. No bad no one knew were he ended up.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, deftguy said:

I think it is being allowed because the upper echelons of band programs and Drum corps have many things in common. Has the activity completely lost its identity? Well, that can be debated, or one can recognize its identity has most definitely changed, and so has the identity of bands. 

As a Dino that is just one banana peel away from from someone's gas tank,  the really good bands have helped me to accept the changes that are - and have happened to Drum corps. 

another example - Broken Arrow, probably will end up going head-to-head down-to-the-wire with the digital screen very electronic Tarpon Springs

BA's show features much more playing, much more marching, much more marching while playing - much less run around and hit a dot

So - if BOA follow's DCI's judging trend (and they usually go hand-in-hand) Tarpon will win GE by a mile and win the Championship. But what do I know

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

another example - Broken Arrow, probably will end up going head-to-head down-to-the-wire with the digital screen very electronic Tarpon Springs

BA's show features much more playing, much more marching, much more marching while playing - much less run around and hit a dot

So - if BOA follow's DCI's judging trend (and they usually go hand-in-hand) Tarpon will win GE by a mile and win the Championship. But what do I know

George,

I think you know more than you think you know...LOL.  I saw Broken Arrow's show, and dang were they good. 

The thing with TS is they have to keep those screens from going on the fritz. The first time I saw their show one when on the fritz just after their second song...and after they moved it to the backfield. The second time I saw them, the same thing happened with the SAME screen. 

TS shows are always exciting and fun to watch, and I am biased towards them. However, I like shows where members actually march and play, and Broken Arrow does that big time. 

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2018 at 6:28 PM, George Dixon said:

edit: I’m removing my post due to a request by directors to not mention any bands by name (ours or others). Though my posts were not intended to be disparaging to any other group (honest to God— I thought they were all great) I can see how it could be perceived that way and certainly want to avoid any appearance as such and to respect their wishes.

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1