Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

better BA video- from upper deck - just amazing

scores will be very interesting in INDY for BOA - and will drive the mindset a lot at DCI as well

this show is one of the most well designed shows I've ever seen/heard - the arc of the show and the pacing and transitions are just incredible

hard to believe these are just HS kids including a bunch of freshmen - a testament to their instructors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DxAguAHA38

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

scores will be very interesting in INDY for BOA - and will drive the mindset a lot at DCI as well

this show is one of the most well designed shows I've ever seen/heard - the arc of the show and the pacing and transitions are just incredible

hard to believe these are just HS kids including a bunch of freshmen - a testament to their instructors

This show makes me want to go to Indy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Star meets Cadets meets Bluecoats.

I hope the patriotic theme spreads back into drum corps

• Like 4

Ok any of this on Flo in the future? Don't follow mb world but if at home can always hook laptop to tv while I do whatever.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, George Dixon said:

For those who enjoyed Star 92 I present BA 2018

https://youtu.be/RQ96t7p2x1I

Everything old is new again. I've only watched the few minutes, but what came immediately to mind is Blue Devils' 2017 drum corps show (for the field entrance) and also the (much much much less proficient) high school marching band show that New Philadelphia put on in 2015 to celebrate their centennial (for the old school feel and use of "Stars and Stripes Forever").

The next thing that strikes me, and pleases me, is the lack of large props. I hope they don't plan to throw any in at the last minute.

Finally, as I reach the first song in their show proper (after the announcement), I note that garfield's favorite Ohio high school band, Grove City, played the very same piece last year--and they sounded almost as good, maybe better at some spots; for instance, GC didn't park the flute feature on the sidelines and didn't directly mic them: GC's 27 flutes marching sounded every bit as clear, on nearly as tricky a part, as Broken Arrow's 5 flutes do standing still at microphones. Also GC moved more while playing than BA does, although as you went on to note, BA seems to be moving and playing a lot more than they did in the previous several years. (It's an amusing coincidence that GC and BA both staged the low brass passage following the first feature [soprano sax in BA, baritone section in GC] with files moving slowly from right to center.) On the other hand, BA's overall visual design is far superior, and the linked performance is two weeks of polishing away from what they'll deliver at Grand Nationals.

Anyway, I like it a lot and look forward to watching the rest. Thanks for sharing that.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:13 PM, Rocketman said:

First, this is a DRUM CORPS site. Why are we even allowing discussion of a band here? Has the activity completely lost its identify? (That may be more rhetorical than I had hoped it would be).

Most years lately there's a little discussion of marching bands in the fall. There's a fair amount of overlap in staffing, for one thing. Also, wasn't Bluecoats' vocalist this year the same singer who performed for Union H.S. at Grand Nationals last year?