Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

On 10/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Always think of Al Bundy of Married With Children. His life sucks but his claim to fame is “5 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High”. 

Seeing stories about old trophies always reminds me of the big display case in my HS for the best QB the football team ever had up to that point. Or as we called him “who the #### is that?” as was from 20 years earlier. Parents remembered he went to PSU on a scholarship and tore up his knee. Well at least he knows where his trophies are at. No bad no one knew were he ended up.

"There are no second acts in American lives." -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

(Whose Tom Buchanan in The Great Gatsby is described as having peaked as a college football star.)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Star meets Cadets meets Bluecoats.

I hope the patriotic theme spreads back into drum corps

I particularly liked when they spelled out TRUTH.

Nearly ten years ago, Michael Boo, by way of demonstrating how "general effect" can be generated, shared a video of a large barbershop singing ensemble, the Ambassadors of Harmony, performing one of the same songs that Broken Arrow does in this year's show: Meredith Willson's "76  Trombones"--and winning a championship in the process. As a follow-up specifically on the subject of tone quality, Bruckner8 (I think) responded with video of Crossroads, the championship quartet from the same year, singing "That Lucky Old Sun". (That note that gets held at the end--wow!) Subsequently reading up on that competition, I learned that Crossroads started at a disadvantage: apparently that circuit applies an automatic penalty for songs with patriotic or religious themes, on the grounds that people are predisposed to favor such lyrics.

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Also, wasn't Bluecoats' vocalist this year the same singer who performed for Union H.S. at Grand Nationals last year?

Yes! Olivia was “discovered” by Jon Vandercolff and Jim Moore who work with Union H.S.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tarpon Springs (FL) finished fifth. In Semifinals, one set of screens failed, but everything worked fine in Finals. It's just that four other bands were better. One of them was Broken Arrow's (OK) patriotic show, also discussed in this thread, but that band finished fourth. Third place went to Blue Springs (MO), who played an eclectic mix of music notably featuring strong vocal stylings on "What a Wonderful World". Second place went to Avon (IN), whose Romeo & Juliet show contained echoes of the Blue Stars and Kidsgrove Scouts productions of 2017--if they had been set in a fishbowl. And the winner, for the third straight year, was Carmel (IN), whose "Voyage to Valhalla" featured Wagner's Ring, Mahler's second symphony (known here from Carolina Crown's 2010 show) and a large Viking ship.

• Like 2

Finals Results

97.350 - Carmel H.S., IN
96.175 - Avon H.S., IN
95.600 - Blue Springs H.S., MO
95.450 - Broken Arrow H.S., OK
94.600 - Tarpon Springs H.S., FL
93.950 - Wando H.S., SC
91.000 - William Mason H.S., OH
90.150 - Homestead H.S., IN
90.100 - Jenks H.S., OK
90.000 - Dobyns-Bennett H.S., TN
90.000 - Prosper H.S., TX
89.300 - O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

Outstanding Music Performance - Carmel H.S., IN
Outstanding Visual Performance - Carmel H.S., IN
Outstanding General Effect - Carmel H.S., IN

The Blue Springs MO band that bested some heavy favorites did a mash up show recognizable to many DCI fans as a visual combination of 93 Phantom Regiment and 2018 Cavaliers but a musical mashup more in the line of that 93 Regiment program combined with some later SCV programs. 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

I loved Carmel's show.  While I liked the theme and music of BA- it was once again cheesy over the top Wes Cartwright twirling gobbled goop- Evil Knieval meets Captain America. Someone needs an edit button.  Two patriotic shows I love; Boston Crusaders 2002 and LD Bell 2010.

I have loved some of the stuff Cartwright has done  BA 2006- that show is timeless.   I liked Utopia by BA as well (2013 ???).   I feel his design now is like  a really good song,  but you hear is so much on the radio, that it becomes uninteresting.

Edited by Forevergreen
  • Like 1