Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

Ok let's close this puppy... people spouting off on something they apparently didn't see. I did and would say it was name calling along with politicial.

And didn't have a #### thing to do with veterans...

S/ son of Korea War vet 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don’t follow BOA closely and only see shows that go from YouTube to DCP. Over the years Broken Arrow finds its way to a thread. I did see bits and pieces of this year’s show. I thought it was interesting and could see why it would be an audience favorite.

When it comes to patriotic, sometimes what some see as over the top works. I attended a Veterans’ Day ceremony in 2001. It started off somber, with a woman speaking about her nephew who died on 9-11, WWII veterans remembering the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, and other appropriate speeches. The woman who organized the musical segments did not understand the occasion and the solemnity of the ceremony. It began with a young woman singing “America the Beautiful” Broadway style, tap dancers who tapped their way through “Yankee Doodle Dandy” and the finale was a high school band marching into the auditorium playing “God Bless America.” The organizers wondered how people would react since it was so out of place but the veterans  groups thought it was perfect and just what we needed at the time. 

Being over the top may be natural for Broken Arrow. They have a famous alumna who can be a bit over the top. Kristen Chenowith grew up in Broken Arrow and attended the high school. 

I have liked a lot of what BA has done and it in addition to a strong staff and program, it works for them (the same old fell a little flat for me this year)  I agree with your statement mostly.  I guess we can celebrate what we have today, but there has been a price paid for it (soldiers killed, maimed and tortured by PTSD).  

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

And the winner, for the third straight year, was Carmel (IN), whose "Voyage to Valhalla" featured Wagner's Ring, Mahler's second symphony (known here from Carolina Crown's 2010 show) and a large Viking ship.

One last note from me: at the end of their show, Carmel had about 80 people on strings.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

One last note from me: at the end of their show, Carmel had about 80 people on strings.

I have always wanted to see Regiment do something like that. I'd love to hear them do the Saint Saens Organ Symphony with an organ and a huge string section. Maybe someday!

• Like 2

Just now, MikeD said:

I have always wanted to see Regiment do something like that. I'd love to hear them do the Saint Saens Organ Symphony with an organ and a huge string section. Maybe someday!

I was just about to write that Carmel's show is what Phantom would look like if they actually designed good shows in the modern era.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I was just about to write that Carmel's show is what Phantom would look like if they actually designed good shows in the modern era.

Yes and no. We had a similar discussion three years ago when George D. (I think) posted a video of Broken Arrow's show, claiming that it had more G.E. than many drum corps shows. As it happens, Phantom used the same designer a year or two later! And it didn't work out for them.

But in the course of the debate about that claim here then, one theme that emerged was that high-end marching bands generate their effect in part by (1) not being nearly as difficult as drum corps and (2) having a lot more people on the field. Actually those two are related in part. A marching band can have a whole lot of people generating visual effect while a whole lot of other people stand still and generate musical effect. Broken Arrow's show that year had even less playing-while-moving than BD's show last year or SCV's show this year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Fun fact: The head program designer for this show is also the head program designer for The Academy. Perhaps that fantastic vocalist/violinist will be a featured performer with them in the summer?

I'm thinking maybe a DUET...with a female singer and corps from OH....IO 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Toby said:

Really? 

An earlier post was removed due to a blatant political attack on adjudicators. My post was a reminder on the prohibition of that discussion.  

*facepalm*

huh? My post was edited? It wasn't a "blatant political attack" it was a commentary (by me) on the inherent bias in BOA/WGI judging community through the decades

I really didn't think that was statement beyond obvious and well-known - similar to the bias in the film industry awards by the Oscar committee. I'm quite certain BA expected it. I certainly did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I actually feel that way more about the MO band's show. THAT is a Regiment show waiting to happen. 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, George Dixon said:

Carmel’s show was a snooze fest 

yeah...they were technically proficient as hell, but 2 minutes in i found myself grabbing my phone

• Thanks 1