Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

4 hours ago, BigW said:

I think the answer is simple. They can be reprogrammed in so many ways, you'd never need to buy backdrops again. I think they only touched the surface of what could really be achievable with them in an aesthetic sense. Much more is possible with the right artistic and creative staff.

Ooh, like SCV doing a Phantom of the Opera show while 88/89 is playing in the background on digital screens.  Maybe sync up real life with the video at times?

That would be so edgy and innovative.  So meta. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Ooh, like SCV doing a Phantom of the Opera show while 88/89 is playing in the background on digital screens.  Maybe sync up real life with the video at times?

Just had a thought of copyright issues for not have rights to images put on the screens.....

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just had a thought of copyright issues for not have rights to images put on the screens.....

Sync rights...what if the video was silent and audio was live from the corps? I see possibilities for a sequel of BD 2012....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, the irony...

18 hours ago, BigW said:

Saw a prop windmill for a Man of LaMancha show that actually worked totally destroyed at a regional competition during the band's performance a long time ago due to very high wind gusts (My guess is they were in excess of 30-35mph). The crowd was more interested in watching it torn to pieces and blown away than the actual show... which actually was a decent program.

This is inspiration for an edgy new show concept.

From Quixote to Camus: Impossible Dreams Really are Impossible and Everything Breaks Down or Dies

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, BigW said:

Saw a prop windmill for a Man of LaMancha show that actually worked totally destroyed at a regional competition during the band's performance a long time ago due to very high wind gusts (My guess is they were in excess of 30-35mph). The crowd was more interested in watching it torn to pieces and blown away than the actual show... which actually was a decent program.

Flashes me back to around 1996 with the band I taught. We did "An American in Paris" as part of the show, and we had a huge canvas pull up prop of a highly stylized version of the Eiffel tower that a parent who was an artist painted for us. We'd lift it up at the start of the the tune, like hoisting a sail, and leave it up for the entire duration. It was a magnificent prop, artistically. At Giant's Stadium for champs we (luckily) saw how windy it was at field level, by watching another band's Firebird prop get destroyed, so we made the decision to just lift it up at the start of the piece, and then we had it brought back down after about 20-30 seconds. We knew it would still be circling the planet if it had taken off, it was so windy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigW said:

I think the answer is simple. They can be reprogrammed in so many ways, you'd never need to buy backdrops again. I think they only touched the surface of what could really be achievable with them in an aesthetic sense. Much more is possible with the right artistic and creative staff.

I absolutely agree with this. The meld them together to create a giant backdrop that does not move. So many possibilities. 

7 minutes ago, deftguy said:

I absolutely agree with this. The meld them together to create a giant backdrop that does not move. So many possibilities. 

And as mentioned, what is shown is infinite. I believe that at times the design staff were more enamored with some of what they could do in terms of bells and whistles rather than really thinking of the best opportunities to perfectly fit what was happening musically and thematically. At that atom splitting level of BoA there's one of the differences that separated Tarpon Springs from Carmel, I'd wager on visual.

Jim mentions copyrighted images. Possible issue. There are tons of fantastic artists that are working lousy jobs looking for commissioned side hustles who are fantastic who could create desired images for a very reasonable amount of money. It could also be getting permission from some artists or their estates may be difficult. Some may readily embrace the concept and provide permission gratis... and the whole gray area in between.

As for this being a one-shot, fine. If one thinks in a shallow manner yes, get rid of the concept and  desperately come up with some 'new' prop that one hopes garners attention (which likely has already been done somehow somewhere anyway) while someone else develops and refines the capabilities and possibilities to a whole other level and beats you.

19 hours ago, Lance said:

Sure! Something I hadn't thought of and very cool and thoughtful. Further proves how many possibilities are capable with the prop that weren't even delved into.

23 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Me Techie here but wonder about the lifetime of these screens. Gotta take some abuse with travel and being outside. And how long before obsolete with next generation of optics.

Ok Mr Techie and Mr Drum Truck Loader because it was a way to get free rides....

They were already starting to show some wear at Grand Nats.  You could see that certain pixels of the screen weren't working.  Unless they were programmed to look worn.  

Edited by Kashi