Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

The rail lack at a High School threw me but maybe not covered or they can argue it a certain way. School Lancers used to have their standstill in redid the bathrooms one year and missed replacing in the handrail in the HC stall in the woman's room. You know who told me and I called the school. Guy in charge said it was there but would check to make me happy. 10 minutes later he called back with an apology and thank you. Apology as it was missed and thanks for letting them know before the state wrote them up.

And yeah me going up without a rail ugh... going down is oh crap....

And I had to call because I have more experience dealing with beauracracy lol... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

40 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

Baiting and bickering removed.  Topic is Tarpon Springs Digital Screens.  Please continue, and thanks for the interesting conversation!

you're no #### fun

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're no #### fun

Shhhh John knows what I look like (poor guy) lol

Just trying to decide if I was Mr Bickering or Mr Baiting..... (evil chuckle)-

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Shhhh John knows what I look like (poor guy) lol

Just trying to decide if I was Mr Bickering or Mr Baiting..... (evil chuckle)-

Oops that’s evil chuckle because I know I’m one of the people John is talking about. Not that I was trying to crank things up on purpose.

John and I both spent time in SW PA so no sense trying to pull one over on him. Wish I could think of a way to put “yinz” in that sentence.

If you still have a FloMarching subscription and you haven't seen Broken Arrow this year, I highly recommend that you watch the St. Louis BOA finals tonight so you can see them.  Just watched them for the first time this year in prelims and they are in a league all by themselves.  Very moving performance - inspirational, delightful, and excellent.  Brought tears to my eyes.  A feast for the ears, the eyes, and the soul.  Just sayin'.  They are performing at 9:15 CST.

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
Addition of time
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 7:49 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Tarpon Springs Spongers? Ranks right up with BigW and my area. Boiling Springs Bubblers (you can figure that one out). Biglerville Canners - big area for apple orchards and Musslemans apple sauce company which (yes) cans apple sauce. Anyone ever been at a corps show at Gettysburg College (few miles from Bville) has sat in Musselman stadium.

Allegheny Campers from Cumberland Maryland, the Musselman Applemen from Inwood WV... and the Poca Dots from Poca, WV and the Konkrete Kids from Northampton, PA... four good ones. In at least one of the 4 the band doesn't utilize the mascot- ("The Big N Band") in Northhampton's case)

I wanted to add that I watched BOA Indianapolis and St. Louis regional via Flomarching. These bands blow me away !

I must comment on Blue Springs High School (MO). Their take on What A Wonderful World made me cry, both times, and I'm not sure why ?

I loved this, and oddly, as someone who has never enjoyed a vocalist or choir in drum corp or marching band, this moved me.

I love this entire show, and the color guard is bad-azz !  

Edited by EastCoast30YearFan
spelling
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, Jeff Ream said:

shoulda been around TOB in 92. Mechanicsburg did a Beauty and the Beast show, and had the teacups etc out there. CV parents made up buttons with teacups on them with a slash thru them ala Ghostbusters. other parents around them got annoyed so the next week they showed up with buttons with CV in place of the teacups.

I may complain about spectator behavior at corps shows, but band world takes the cake. thats why i rarely go to a band show unless i am teaching or judging. 

That's a pretty common thing unfortunately. Even now, I hear parents talk about how amazing their kids band program is and how they can't BELIEVE that so and so band beat them at X competition and how it's all about how big and loud you are. I went to a show recently where parents were actually HECKLING other bands. There's no place for that in the marching arts. I also saw multiple parents and kids break ranks of other groups. A few of the kids asked me about my corps jacket, but their parents seemed to have no clue that there was anything beyond screaming at the top of their lungs and complaining. I also hear a lot of "In 2001 I was in color guard and we won the [insert random band competition here] and we were the best that there ever was" stuff. I just want to tell them to crawl back into their cars and watch Bruce Springsteen "Glory Days" on a continuous loop. 

I get supporting your kids. My parents always went to at least DCI SE when I marched and HS band competitions once I rejoined my HS group. But come on...have some respect for what these kids are trying to do. Since when did HS Marching Band become HS Football? Maybe it's worse in the south than in other areas.

Our band directors were still highly involved in the DCI activity and were very, VERY specific on etiquette with the parents at HS shows and competitions. I hate to think it's a generational thing, but it does seem to follow that path. 

The show was great and the kids seemed to have fun performing it. THAT is the most important thing. Someone stated that this could very well be the next generation of DCI performers and that's probably a true enough statement. If the level of music education is good and the kids are pushing their own expectations of what can be done on the field, I'm all for it. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Thanks 1