Tarpon Springs - Digital Screens

6 minutes ago, LoveKathyG said:

First thought...  No.

Second thought...  Yuck.

Third thought...  How many housing and food insecure people would those things feed a year?

Fascinating how two people can look at the same thing and have radically different thoughts.

I wondered:

1) Did they rent or buy those?

2) I hoped they bought so that they could use to rent out to public in off season as a solid revenue generating opportunity.

Addressing your third thought... it is not the job of high school band boosters to solve housing or food challenges. That is not their purpose and there are plenty of government and community programs to address these issues. This is like lamenting over the fact that Beyonce and Jay-Z bought a 13th new house for themselves when that money could be better used by NASA to buy weather balloons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

Third thought...  How many housing and food insecure people would those things feed a year?

See my post regarding all for a trophy that will gather dust in a schools display case.

My director was a crusty old WWII vet who refused to compete. Reasoning was we had some kids with little self confidence and being in band gave them a self of accomplishment and being part of a group. He thought building up these kids to get them ready for life was more important. Part of the conversation was “you know which kids I’m talking about” which put it on a personal level. Kicker was he knew the band parents would be the ones getting nasty if those kids screwed up.

Yeah thinking of others... what was his problem (sarcasm)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Think of this possibility, with the use of these video boards:

A show that has the current band or corps performing their show, interspersed with video clips of the same band's or corps' show from, say, 20 years ago.

Show theme: "We've Gotten Better"  :tongue:

Would that require a separate screen for the apostrophe?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

If the technology was available and of good quality back then, it would have been used.

"IF"    It wasn't!

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I didn't watch but if you mean flashing that could be harmful to those with seizure conditions it should not be allowed. Not like the affected people can get up and leave quick. Even if a seizure does not occur it can still make one physically sick.

Why the #### does whitedj2002 think this is funny?  PM has been sent asking directly.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

First thought...  No.

Second thought...  Yuck.

11 hours ago, danielray said:

Fascinating how two people can look at the same thing and have radically different thoughts.

I wondered:

1) Did they rent or buy those?

2) I hoped they bought so that they could use to rent out to public in off season as a solid revenue generating opportunity.

Addressing your third thought... it is not the job of high school band boosters to solve housing or food challenges. That is not their purpose and there are plenty of government and community programs to address these issues. This is like lamenting over the fact that Beyonce and Jay-Z bought a 13th new house for themselves when that money could be better used by NASA to buy weather balloons.

It wasn't my first thought, but I do have to wonder if a drum corps that can afford to rent and transport these for a season might better use those assets to provide better conditions for the members' experience.  For instance, how many housing nights in a hotel before finals do those buy?  How many days of catered meals from local stop-overs while on tour?  How much better design and instruction can PC or Academy or Blue Stars buy with the assets they have to spend on props just to get GE.

It seems to me that, with a modification in judging criteria that directs attention away from props and more on music education and execution, bands such as Grove City and drum corps like The Academy or PC can present a better challenge to the big shots in both activities without "selling out" (my termj) to the arms race "thing of the year".

My next thought was the business structure to own and lease vs. lease and, while surely feasible for a group that has the wherewithal to buy, the trick is to make it available for the activity.  Thoughts on that should probably come from a new thread.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

Dang find myself agreeing with Garfield lol. To add to the above adding more of a cushion on the break even point of finances. Always see grumbling about the close of season “need $ now to be able to continue” emails and posts. Thinking new one of “electronics got caught in rain so need...”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To judge from the videos, the audience in Orlando seems to like Tarpon's show.

Oh yes band parents squealing is now the deciding factor in quality of product lol 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Dang find myself agreeing with Garfield lol. To add to the above adding more of a cushion on the break even point of finances. Always see grumbling about the close of season “need $ now to be able to continue” emails and posts. Thinking new one of “electronics got caught in rain so need...”.

To add a little here....I’ve heard the powers-that-be complaining about the ever increasing yearly budgets but they never say this has to stop.  They just keep complaining. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1