A Message from The Kilties Creative Staff

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were you a member or on staff when Morgan Larson was a member of the Kilties? 

I was a marching member and on staff for at least two of the years he was associated with the corps (baritone in 2009, visual tech 2011-2012). I did not learn of any of his history until last year, and was not aware of it at the time. 

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Do the Kilties have a reporting policy in place of who a person should report to if they feel they have been harrassed/abused.

Our new handbook, issued at open house two weeks ago, outlines our policies with respect to reporting misconduct. We outline our sexual harassment and performers' rights policies, and establish ways in which an individual can report misconduct. One of those is an anonymous feedback mechanism, which we are still working on (we're in the middle of a tech transition, but it is on our to-do list).

6 minutes ago, Matt Billock said:

I was a marching member and on staff for at least two of the years he was associated with the corps (baritone in 2009, visual tech 2011-2012). I did not learn of any of his history until last year, and was not aware of it at the time. 

Our new handbook, issued at open house two weeks ago, outlines our policies with respect to reporting misconduct. We outline our sexual harassment and performers' rights policies, and establish ways in which an individual can report misconduct. One of those is an anonymous feedback mechanism, which we are still working on (we're in the middle of a tech transition, but it is on our to-do list).

Were you at the Naperville show in 2012?  Because Morgan Larson was thrown off the campus of North Central College for being a convicted felon and didn’t do the show that night.  Didn’t you wonder why he was thrown off campus if you were there? 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were you at the Naperville show in 2012?  Because Morgan Larson was thrown off the campus of North Central College for being a convicted felon and didn’t do the show that night.  Didn’t you wonder why he was thrown off campus if you were there? 

I do not recall. I most likely was, but I can't honestly speak to what I knew about at that time as at this point it's been 6 years and quite a lot of life in between.

All I can be certain of is that once I found out about his history and was placed into a position where I was able to do something about it, I did. Had I known about it six years ago I'd likely have spoken up then. But in any case, as mentioned before. Morgan Larson is not involved with the Kilties, and *will* not be involved with the Kilties. Furthermore, we have sexual harassment, performers' rights, and hiring policies put into place to prevent individuals like him from being involved with the corps again.

Whatever has happened in the past, we're taking the steps that we can now to do things the right way as best that we can. If you'd like to discuss further, or have specific information to share of which I might not be aware, I'd be happy to speak in more detail via email or PM!

Edited by Matt Billock

4 minutes ago, Matt Billock said:

I do not recall. I most likely was, but I can't honestly speak to what I knew about at that time as at this point it's been 6 years and quite a lot of life in between.

All I can be certain of is that once I found out about his history and was placed into a position where I was able to do something about it, I did. Had I known about it six years ago I'd likely have spoken up then. But in any case, as mentioned before. Morgan Larson is not involved with the Kilties, and *will* not be involved with the Kilties. Furthermore, we have sexual harassment, performers' rights, and hiring policies put into place to prevent individuals like him from being involved with the corps again.

Whatever has happened in the past, we're taking the steps that we can now to do things the right way as best that we can. If you'd like to discuss further, or have specific information to share of which I might not be aware, I'd be happy to speak in more detail via email or PM!

No need.  I believe we all understand the culture of the Kilties. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Were you a member or on staff when Morgan Larson was a member of the Kilties? 

given todays story, how many member of the board now were there then? It was no secret

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can answer that.  All but one. The director was there, too. 

Well as I said in the dci thread, anything to come in 11th I guess 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well as I said in the dci thread, anything to come in 11th I guess 

When a situation calls for honesty, contrition, and remorse, instead they double down on the feigned ignorance.   We aren’t talking about 20 year olds.  We’re talking about full blown adults who willfully participated in what they had to know was wrong.  At least, I hope they knew it was wrong. 

I’ve always said there’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Kiltie way.  

As I have said before in this thread, the best we can do is make sure it doesn't happen again. We have practices in place to get rid of members who cause problems, and screening processes to keep these individuals out. Thanks for your feedback and opinions.