A Message from The Kilties Creative Staff

As far as the excuse that is was 6 years ago and a lot of living done....I say BS!!!! I can recall things that have happened 50 plus years ago with accuracy. One knows darn well what happened 6 years ago! Idiotic decisions were made with minor children involved. How much of a moron would one be to hide someone's record of pedophilia and/or sexual assault? Step back and look at the big picture! These decisions weren't mistakes, it was the good ole boys circle. 

Every director from Crossmen, Pioneer, OC, Kilties and other corps should be permanently banned from DCI and DCA!!!!

DCI needs to re-organize and quick to salvage the activity because I don't think this story will be over any time soon.

Wait for the next bombing run!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Billock said:

As I have said before in this thread, the best we can do is make sure it doesn't happen again. We have practices in place to get rid of members who cause problems, and screening processes to keep these individuals out. Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

What about anyone involved who knew about problems but left the predators remain in the corps.

word I’m thinking of is “enablers”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Billock said:

As I have said before in this thread, the best we can do is make sure it doesn't happen again. We have practices in place to get rid of members who cause problems, and screening processes to keep these individuals out. Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

yet you trust your board, all but one that were in place when he was in the corps, and his issue was no secret, will do the right things?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The corps has been in desperate need of a serious culture change. Other things I have noted from listening, reading, and observations over the years pale with this main issue. I know corps members posted here trying to circle the wagons, obfuscate, and raise thick smokescreens as to the Larson issue. One former member is still trying to do it on another thread on the DCI side of things and insult everyone's intelligence. Now that a lot of the facts have been recently tied together and brought to light, it casts a very bad look on the organization. That's putting it politely.

I know from directly dealing with a former member of the Kilties in direct conversation (not Terri) that there's been a thread of blatant misogyny running through the corps at various points, and I have to wonder if it's still there in some shape or form, especially given that the BoD is still mostly from the Larson era and I'm guessing from before when the reconstituted corps was all-male.

There has always seemed to be an underlying current of excuses for various problems and failures. There never appears to be an introspective look at what's internally wrong. Judges... weather... according to my one conversation with a former member, letting women into the corps...you name it. Never anything inside the internal infrastructure is the problem. All I can hear is my Father telling me, "Don't make excuses, make good." I think there's a start to do this... but given the recent revelations-- can the current BoD as constituted really do that?

I'm sitting here with mixed emotions. Dismay, disbelief, disgust....and I'm normally a pretty positive person. If the corps wishes to get talented new members, and gain respect in the community at large at this point.... the culture HAS to change. RADICALLY. Making sure convicted sex offenders are no longer going to be involved with the corps is a start. Having a system to report issues is also a start. Making certain all members know how to act and treat other corps members regardless of gender, essential.

Beyond that- understanding that yes,  while this is a hobby, it's no excuse for pushing harder for excellence and working towards creating a show design, approach, and performance quality that is relevant enough to give the organization a shot at finals, and not blaming everything under the sun for failures.

I just don't know if the BoD gets all of this. And that's scary.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matt Billock said:

I’m gonna cry horse hockey here.

stewart told the board, that’s been established in various other postings in many places. The board let a convicted sex offender in the corps. Competing at schools, against his orders. In shows with corps with kids, and didn’t notify those corps. You may have had some kids yourselves but you guys were generally older than most of the circuit. People in power at the Kilties then and now knew. They sent legal threats to those that tried to expose it. 

Sorry but but if I am a DCA administrator or director I have serious issues with your corps being a member, and trust me competitive reasons arent a factor. Your leadership allowed, enabled, and tried to hush it up, and all but one are still there. I can only imagine what the Racine press and community would think knowing you let him in the corps 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigW said:

The corps has been in desperate need of a serious culture change. Other things I have noted from listening, reading, and observations over the years pale with this main issue. I know corps members posted here trying to circle the wagons, obfuscate, and raise thick smokescreens as to the Larson issue. One former member is still trying to do it on another thread on the DCI side of things and insult everyone's intelligence. Now that a lot of the facts have been recently tied together and brought to light, it casts a very bad look on the organization. That's putting it politely.

I know from directly dealing with a former member of the Kilties in direct conversation (not Terri) that there's been a thread of blatant misogyny running through the corps at various points, and I have to wonder if it's still there in some shape or form, especially given that the BoD is still mostly from the Larson era and I'm guessing from before when the reconstituted corps was all-male.

There has always seemed to be an underlying current of excuses for various problems and failures. There never appears to be an introspective look at what's internally wrong. Judges... weather... according to my one conversation with a former member, letting women into the corps...you name it. Never anything inside the internal infrastructure is the problem. All I can hear is my Father telling me, "Don't make excuses, make good." I think there's a start to do this... but given the recent revelations-- can the current BoD as constituted really do that?

I'm sitting here with mixed emotions. Dismay, disbelief, disgust....and I'm normally a pretty positive person. If the corps wishes to get talented new members, and gain respect in the community at large at this point.... the culture HAS to change. RADICALLY. Making sure convicted sex offenders are no longer going to be involved with the corps is a start. Having a system to report issues is also a start. Making certain all members know how to act and treat other corps members regardless of gender, essential.

Beyond that- understanding that yes,  while this is a hobby, it's no excuse for pushing harder for excellence and working towards creating a show design, approach, and performance quality that is relevant enough to give the organization a shot at finals, and not blaming everything under the sun for failures.

They aren’t much good at drum corps but they’ve perfected the blame game. 

All their failures are always someone else’s fault.  I expect this will continue if DCA reinstates them.  Which would be beyond belief after this damning article in the Philadelphia Inquirer.  

I am really intrigued by their feigning ignorance, however.  That is beyond belief. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

No they don’t get it. It’s been a culture since they came back

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

No they don’t get it. It’s been a culture since they came back

And how will that change with the same people on the board and in other positions of authority?    Answer:  It won’t. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

When I go to shows I do my best to watch every corps, even in the logistics cluster last Labor Day weekend. 

If they come on the field this summer without serious changes, I get up and walk out. This issue is what drove stewart off of Pioneers board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3