"Do Not Enter! Be Quiet! Sit Down!" Stadium Etiquette

The two that irk me the most are: the chatty one sitting directly behind you who talks to her friend non-stop and not at a wisper.

The second are the people who sit forward in their seats and block half the field for the people in the next few rows.  Then, instead of asking them to sit back, the one in the next row sits forward.

• Thanks 1

OK- Mr. Old-ie Mold-ie here

1973- when the Boston Crusaders were on the field, a MAJOR re-build year for them, one kid sat behind me and boooded though out their gutsy performance.  When I asked him to be quiet and enjoy what those  kids who were working their rears off were doing on the field, this *^$%#@@ kid said- they are finished, they should just fold and give it up.  I would like to see what he says now-----

1973- the Bleu Raiders were having a difficult year after making finals in 1972.  The parents in the stands during their prelims performance screamed at the top of their lungs for everything- oh my god- look at the perfect right turn- I have never seen such a perfect skip- you are beautiful Jenny!!!!!!!!!!  OK- you are trying to hype the performance, but gees-----  my ears hurt----

1977- I corps that I was a guard instructor with a corps that was performing at Class A championships.  A kid behind be screamed sarcastic remarks about everything my corps did.  When I asked him to please be quiet, he told me- I hate every corps west of the Mississippi and want all of them to fail.  Of course, the corps that he was in did not make the finals like my corps.

1977- the old days when we could line up outside of the stadium at three in the morning for DCI prelims and bond with other drum corps crazies- i.e.- no assigned seats- a couple sat behind us and told us that everybody needs to be seated as they did not want to have their view obstructed during every corps performance.  Of course, everyone around us stood up and applauded every corps, with those two people screaming out at the top of their lungs- DOWN IN FRONT PLEASE!!!!  Gees- get off of your fat rear ends and stand up and applaud what the kids are doing out there.  Literally this was for every corps at prelims.

OK- enough #####ing for now.  We live in Puerto Vallarta and we need to get our villa ready for the hurricane that is going to hit us soon.

Hasta luego amigos!!! 

• Like 3

I was at Clifton stadium in NJ at a junior show, sponsored by the Cadets, in the early 2000's. That show attracted a lot of old-timers from the many NJ area corps of the 60's and 70's. There were a couple of guys wearing their corps t-shirts who were dissing everything being done by the modern corps as being so vastly inferior to their corps of the mid-60's. They were yelling up the stands to a couple of other guys from their old corps, and just making complete fools of themselves. 

It was so sad to see and hear these old bums, and the reaction of the younger audience members was about what you'd expect. They gave us other old-timers a very bad name. I was sitting near some Crown parents, and I made it a point to interact with them and let them know those guys were not representative of EVERYbody from old time drum corps.

• Like 4

Staff at championships.  You know the type.  The ones who wade up the aisle to get as close to the press box as possible, and whose sole mission is to convince everyone around them (including the press box judges) that their corps is giving the performance of their lives (whether they really are or not). 

My rule of etiquette:  staffers should not "perform" harder (and louder) than their corps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Staff at championships.  You know the type.  The ones who wade up the aisle to get as close to the press box as possible, and whose sole mission is to convince everyone around them (including the press box judges) that their corps is giving the performance of their lives (whether they really are or not). 

My rule of etiquette:  staffers should not "perform" harder (and louder) than their corps.

Nominated for the most true and spot on post of the year.  The over-emoting and hyping by staff...ugh.

I'm like really?  You guys couldn't have fixed all your foot phasing and interval problems?  Ah, the little things.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

We're in Sec 240, the box level where Rondo and Crew stand, and this year, finally, we had a gate-guard with teeth.  Despite her diminutive 5'2" frame, she successfully shooed away all seat-jumpers and, especially, staff members.  We had a ball watching her calmly chewing her popcorn while shuffling people off using the kindness of a grandmother with a butcher knife.

• Like 3

Lol DCA Prelims years back had pair of young ladies so oblivious they a) kept talking during Corps performances and b) were so freaking loud. In between corps someone a section over yelled “no one gives a #### what Dave said” (name kept coming up in the conversation). When their mouths dropped open I stood up from TWO sections over and yelled that I heard it all too. Guy next to them just looked sick as he must have been with them.

9 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

The know-it-alls who think you’re more interested in their commentary rather than watching the corps actually perform. 

the worst I ever saw was at Allentown in 2008. I won't mention the corps name, but these fans were nowhere to be found until their corps was coming on the field, and they were extremely noisy coming in...yelled, screamed the whole time, then as they finished, stood up, yelled they were getting screwed and walked out.

As they did, one fan near me said loudly for them and the rest of the stadium to hear "They're only getting 5th because of their director that show sucks!" Much laughter ensued.

• Haha 1

Had a couple situations this past weekend at a local high school band competition:

My 12-year-old son is a band helper for his high school's marching band. They are a smaller band, and so usually perform pretty early in the day. So, we arrived well before the start of the competition, and stayed for the whole thing. Group of people next to us were from another band in the same class as ours, so they were there the whole day as well. After a fine (but chilly) day of watching band shows, we finally made it to the larger, open class, bands.  Two ladies from the other smaller band decided to have a random conversation/gossip session during one of the premier shows of the day, at full "outside voice" volume. When the music on the field got louder, so did they. It was quite disruptive, and they got the "turn and look" from several different directions around them. But they did not seem to catch the hint. So, at a somewhat quiet portion of the show, I finally slid over to them and politely (but sternly) said, "Excuse me, but can the conversation wait until between shows, please?" She looked at me like I was asking her to never speak again, and she sarcastically said "Sor-ry!" I got several mouthed "thank you"s from those sitting around us, and those ladies mostly kept quiet the rest of the show. But it really should not come down to that.

There was an hour long dinner break/intermission in between the smaller groups and the larger groups. To kick off the latter half of the show, a local middle school band played the National Anthem (quite nicely, I might add). They were fairly large, for a middle school band. During a break between the AAA and open class shows, the middle schoolers were allowed to go to the concessions. But that decision was made a bit too late during the break, and they were still filing through the aisles and up the stairs (among the paying spectators) when the next band started playing. One of the leaders of the middle school band (obviously not the one that made the decision to dismiss them from their seats) was a bit embarrassed, recognized that they were going to be disrupting the start of the next band's show, and did everything she could to speed them up and get them up the stairs and out of the stands as quickly as possible. Kudos to her for at least having the situational awareness, to try to minimize a disruption caused by somebody else's ill-timed decision.

• Like 1