Dynasty Drums shut down?

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the 18 inch bass weighed about the same as a 26 inch Pearl

Did North drums and Stingray have any association? I remember 86 BD breaking out the North Tri-Toms for Channel One Suite but I don't remember the specific lineage. 

Speaking of of this brings back a horrible / funny memory of being at a Spirit camp (I can't remember if it was 86 or 87,) and one of us auditioners had one of the old Ludwig HV snares with a double rimmed chrome Power Stroke (Power Blow) head on it and it ###### one of the techs off (might have been either Scott Brown or Turtle) enough that a stick was driven suddenly through head like spiking a vampire. Bad snare concept, horrible horrible horrible head (though at least you always kept your eyes up,) and double rimming.  Ahhhhh the memories.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

On 10/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, MotoSurfBass said:

Also criminally expensive, which is pretty much the only reason they aren't more widely used right now.

If ever there was a time for TAMA to make a play it is now

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, awunderlich said:

I agree

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, awunderlich said:

At probably what....close to 18K for a battery, it's gonna take a hell of a move to bring it within reach. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the 18 inch bass weighed about the same as a 26 inch Pearl

oof. I know in 2011 we did an experiment and found that a 28" Mapex was heavier than a 32" Yamaha. I can't begin to imagine what those drums felt like.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Did North drums and Stingray have any association? I remember 86 BD breaking out the North Tri-Toms for Channel One Suite but I don't remember the specific lineage. 

Speaking of of this brings back a horrible / funny memory of being at a Spirit camp (I can't remember if it was 86 or 87,) and one of us auditioners had one of the old Ludwig HV snares with a double rimmed chrome Power Stroke (Power Blow) head on it and it ###### one of the techs off (might have been either Scott Brown or Turtle) enough that a stick was driven suddenly through head like spiking a vampire. Bad snare concept, horrible horrible horrible head (though at least you always kept your eyes up,) and double rimming.  Ahhhhh the memories.

Not that I know of. Stingray created the wedge shells 

2 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

oof. I know in 2011 we did an experiment and found that a 28" Mapex was heavier than a 32" Yamaha. I can't begin to imagine what those drums felt like.

oh when we started the TOB All Star Band and used Surf's Mapex drums, oh my god how heavy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Not that I know of. Stingray created the wedge shells 

I remember very, very vaguely they may have had some connection, Jeff. The conversation with Rook was a loooooong time ago. IIRC, North himself with maybe a little help basically hand built the shells, it was a very cottage industry kind of company. North wasn't getting any younger, health issues, sold his molds and stuff to what became Stingray. My guess is that Stingray looked at how he did it, the relative complexity to do what he did.... decided they could simplify the design and building processes, pretty much ended up with their own product.

I remember when Spirit circa 1979-1980 had a line of these snares or ones very similar in early season, and they didn't last very long, going to a more conventional snare made by someone else:

8f2b259207e08543ea7a1478daad4db3.jpg

27 minutes ago, BigW said:

I remember very, very vaguely they may have had some connection, Jeff. The conversation with Rook was a loooooong time ago. IIRC, North himself with maybe a little help basically hand built the shells, it was a very cottage industry kind of company. North wasn't getting any younger, health issues, sold his molds and stuff to what became Stingray. My guess is that Stingray looked at how he did it, the relative complexity to do what he did.... decided they could simplify the design and building processes, pretty much ended up with their own product.

I remember when Spirit circa 1979-1980 had a line of these snares or ones very similar in early season, and they didn't last very long, going to a more conventional snare made by someone else:

8f2b259207e08543ea7a1478daad4db3.jpg

Billy K told me no true ties. either way, if I never have to play on a stingray drum again, that's still too soon

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Billy K told me no true ties. either way, if I never have to play on a stingray drum again, that's still too soon

Charitably... I know they weren't well liked by people familiar with them for about every reason a percussionist wouldn't like them. Nothing worse than playing/struggling on a bad horn, same has to apply with percussion.