2018 SCV Hall of Fame Inductee Dan Smith

10 hours ago, lindap said:

Dan has been judging for perhaps 40 years. What is your significance to 1987? It's one year of many for many of the pageantry arts. I'm curious.

Those of us close to that tight competition will always remember how he dramatically dropped Cadets' GE Visual score at finals.  It's no surprise that he has close ties to SCV.

31 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Those of us close to that tight competition will always remember how he dramatically dropped Cadets' GE Visual score at finals.  It's no surprise that he has close ties to SCV.

That is rather irresponsible and impetuous conjecture on your part. You are besmirching someone's name based on one data point. If you have seen a PATTERN of favoritism from this man, please provide it. 

51 minutes ago, quietcity said:

That is rather irresponsible and impetuous conjecture on your part. You are besmirching someone's name based on one data point. If you have seen a PATTERN of favoritism from this man, please provide it. 

Conjecture?  No.  It was obvious bias, pure and simple.  Doesn't matter anyway.  He did not succeed.  

• Like 1

Dan was band director at Independence High School in San Jose.  Won BOA in 1981.  Dan at independence, Romero at Lincoln and Mel at Clovis made the up the California powerhouses and influenced DCI in the day! Much deserved Dan!

Conjecture? That was the last major DCI show he ever judged. Gee, I wonder why. Garfield received a 14.9 (out of 15) in GE Visual at semis. There is no question that they were better and more focused at Finals. I personally know two of the (other) judges on that finals panel, and I rarely question numbers, given a clearer understanding of their process and reputation. But that was utter bullplop. Cavies 14.1; SCV 14.6; Garfield 14.0? Ridiculous.

On a lighter note, I had a discussion many years later with some staff members of another 1987 finalist (not top 6). They knew "for a fact" that the reason DCI Midwest (MO.) prelim recaps were never released (I can't find them... and Finals were rained out) was because Smith was on GE Visual and underscored Garfield by a bunch (SCV won by 1.2). Soooo, He Who Must Not Be Named or Given Due Process went to the eventual DCI Finals Percussion judges and begged them to overscore Garfield to make up  for what Smith would do. He underscored; all 3 drum judges threw down 10s for Garfield. It's a rather logical tale to tell -- if DCI had a history of malfeasance --  though I believe none of it. I mean the 2nd paragraph; I stand by the 1st with confident aplomb.

On a completely related note, has (find her name) judged color guard Finals week since the infamous **2003 PRELIMS** shiztshow?

And any Garfield people who witnessed George Zingali's reaction to that number, PLEASE comment! :soapbox:

• Thanks 1

To be fair, in 1982, Smith judged GE Visual and gave Garfield (5th in prelims) a top score of 9.9 -- with 4 corps to go. The next year, he judged Visual Analysis and gave them a "perfect" 8.0 with 2 to go. But 14.0? C'mon.

• Like 1