DCI's "Age-Out" Rule

17 minutes ago, 81Freelancers said:

Check this out....

https://www.dci.org/news/am-i-too-old-to-march-in-a-dci-drum-corps

Yeah, tell that to the 1975 Muchachos and the 1977 Bridgemen. What a joke. 

I personally think you should not march after your 22nd birthday. If it happens during the season, you’re replaced or there is a hole in the show. DCI member corps feel differently and quite frankly, even if I see it one way and the member corps see it another, I don’t see it as a hill to die on.

Now is the “bonus year” that is now policy unfair to corps who had overage members over forty years ago? It depends. How old were the overagecmembers? Both corps have been the subject of historical thread topics. I seem to recall for Bridgemen the over age violations were for kids pretty close to the age but I thought for Muchachos there was one offender who was 23.

However, there are two things to keep in mind. 1. DCI member corps have the right to make changes. 2. What matters is what the rules are  at the time, not what they will be years down the road.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I personally think you should not march after your 22nd birthday. If it happens during the season, you’re replaced or there is a hole in the show. DCI member corps feel differently and quite frankly, even if I see it one way and the member corps see it another, I don’t see it as a hill to die on.

Now is the “bonus year” that is now policy unfair to corps who had overage members over forty years ago? It depends. How old were the overagecmembers? Both corps have been the subject of historical thread topics. I seem to recall for Bridgemen the over age violations were for kids pretty close to the age but I thought for Muchachos there was one offender who was 23.

However, there are two things to keep in mind. 1. DCI member corps have the right to make changes. 2. What matters is what the rules are  at the time, not what they will be years down the road.

My son was a bonus ageout.  His last show was on his 22nd birthday.  

54 minutes ago, Tim K said:

IDK re Muchachos -there is beaucoup info on historical page - it is an incredible story that can't be made up.

Re Bayonne - the overage members were long-time members who turned 22 during the season.  They had replacements ready to take their place on the day they turned 22.  There was never a 22 yr old in competition.  DCI tried to DQ them between prelims & finals but they got a court injunction (apparently Judge thought the rule was vague enough to let them perform & sort it out later)  & performed - would have placed 4th.  I seem to recall that years later DCI relented & they were undisqualified (new word)  but others will know more.

Of course there were other age-related DQs - Crossmen in 70-something, also a Canadian Corps in the 90s(?).  Others will know more  

Not to mention 89 SCV :nervous:

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

51 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Well said.

And at least now, the rule is clear.  Not always the case back in the day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Of course there were other age-related DQs - Crossmen in 70-something, also a Canadian Corps in the 90s(?).  Others will know more  

The Canadian corps was Les Eclipses.

You can't really pin anything on 89 SCV...not when the 2 people involved falsified their passport info so well it fooled everyone...and when Gail found out, they were gone -- that day.

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IDK re Muchachos -there is beaucoup info on historical page - it is an incredible story that can't be made up.

Re Bayonne - the overage members were long-time members who turned 22 during the season.  They had replacements ready to take their place on the day they turned 22.  There was never a 22 yr old in competition.  DCI tried to DQ them between prelims & finals but they got a court injunction (apparently Judge thought the rule was vague enough to let them perform & sort it out later)  & performed - would have placed 4th.  I seem to recall that years later DCI relented & they were undisqualified (new word)  but others will know more.

1976 Crossmen and 1984 Les Eclipses were both DQ'd.

rules change. what they thought worked in the 70's others thought didnt work later. it happens. 

• Like 1