Electronics question

I have a big question involving electronics.  Everyone who has gone to a number of shows knows that there can be problems....sometimes major.........microphone cutting in and out, or going out altogether, an electronic keyboard not working, feedback..........not to mention the constant struggles with balance issues.  These difficulties are all "on the corps" though, as they are aware of the risks, and also aware of the importance to really "have it down".  That said, I propose a possible problem that I don't believe has happened yet, but could be a major issue sometime.  As you know, all the sponsor is responsible for is providing a live power line to the front sideline area.

What would happen if the power source from the venue failed during a corps' performance at a major contest....let's say Championships.  Let's say that the corps' sound guy checks, and sure enough, everything has shut down and there are no power lights anywhere.  Instead of waiting, a signal is given to the director, and the director walks to the podium and tells the drum major to stop the show.  When the contest director comes over, the director tells him that he stopped the corps because the required power source from the venue has stopped and thus was not provided, and it is not fair for us to bear the consequences of this when other corps did have power throughout their performance."  Would they be penalized?  Would they be allowed to go again? 

There have been "power up" problems when a corps has set up and has no power.  However, 99% of the time it has been something with the corps equipment....a bad connection (typical), a blown fuse in a power amp or power strip (less typical).........I have only seen a few instances.....a few at band shows and a few at corps shows.....where the venue source of power was dead............in these instances, the show was delayed until a fresh, good line of power was run.   However, I have not seen an instance where the power source from the venue cut out DURING an actual performance.

This is something that if it hasn't happened already, is going to.  Even stadium concerts have had times where somehow power going to the stage tripped, causing no sound and a delay.  Newer stadiums have had fewer incidents, due to improved wiring and power capacities. However, it still can happen.  Does DCI have a formal policy if the required power from the venue either (1) isn't provided/working prior to a performance (2) fails during a performance.?  If there is nothing in writing on this, I think that it would be very interesting to see what would happen if the power source from the venue failed during a corps' performance, and the corps stopped and demand a re-run after power was restored.

PS: this is NOT a debate about the use of electronics..............

At the Birmingham show I attended this past summer, most of the corps (possibly all, I didn't start looking for them til a few corps into the show) had their own generators.  Given the wide variations in venues, I suspect it's effectively mandatory.

Edited by jthomas666
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

At the Birmingham show I attended this past summer, most of the corps (possibly all, I didn't start looking for them til a few corps into the show) had their own generators.  Given the wide variations in venues, I suspect it's effectively mandatory.

I know most, if not all, have generators for rehearsal........not sure about at the show venue, though.....I know in the early days of electronics, a power line was run...........

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

I know most, if not all, have generators for rehearsal........not sure about at the show venue, though.....I know in the early days of electronics, a power line was run...........

It is in the best interest of any corps using electronic to have a backup source of power. I think it is foolish for them to solely rely on the power of any stadium without a backup source. 

For starters, it is highly unlikely that a corps would ever stop and demand a do-over, because DCI judges never penalize a corps for electronics failures anyway.  

Also, power problems are far less likely in an indoor venue such as where DCI holds their world class championship events.  Most power problems for corps are caused by rainwater. 

That said, corps rehearsing on a rainy day may still have wet equipment later that day.  But when the corps equipment causes the ground fault, that problem tends to trip the circuit right away, not after working fine for several minutes of a performance.

We have seen electronics fail hundreds of times in DCI performances, and not once has a corps stopped a performance in progress because of it.  Just based on that observation, I think that if a corps ever did lose power in the middle of a championship performance in LOS, they would inevitably complete the performance, and complain afterward (unless the stadium lights went out too).  Unless there is obvious proof that the stadium power source, and not the corps rig, caused the power loss, I doubt that the corps would get a second chance to compete.

11 hours ago, deftguy said:

It is in the best interest of any corps using electronic to have a backup source of power. I think it is foolish for them to solely rely on the power of any stadium without a backup source. 

For outdoor venues,this probably would not be an issue.

That might not be the case in an indoor arena.

You're talking about an internal combustion engine(s),indoors.

Is a single gasoline engine going to effect the the people in the dome.

Obviously not.

But you could have an issue with people in the immediate vicinity of the unit,including,Carbon Monoxide.

In today's world ,you'd most likely need air monitors,special ventilation ,etc.

Plus,the generators I've seen corps use tend to be kind of large and loud.

Where do you put it so it doesn't interfere with the performance,including getting getting picked up on 

microphones ?

Generators aren't that big or that loud. 

And this just happened with my band a month ago at the Capital City Marching Festival in Austin.  We go on the field, they tell us where the power outlet is.  We plug it in, and there's no power to the sound board.  They tell us a breaker got flipped, so to use their <provided> generator.  We have trouble getting the generator fired up, but we finally get it going.  It dies 15 seconds into the show and all power cuts out.  Our director blew his whistle, stopped the performance, made the band go back to the opening set, and waited for the contest to fix it.

Mike

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

For starters, it is highly unlikely that a corps would ever stop and demand a do-over, because DCI judges never penalize a corps for electronics failures anyway.  

There have been delay-of-show penalties (or penalties for exceeding a corps' bloc of time) for corps having trouble getting their electronics plugged in/powered up/and so forth  (like the penalty that almost cost the Crossmen a finalist spot a few years back). But I get your point about nothing being done, on the scoresheets, about in-performance failures.

I'm surprised more corps aren't using a UPS in front of their equipment.  What should be provided at all venues is a backup power cord and a grounding bar.  Personally it would be a good idea to practice without electronics (plan b show) if it's raining etc OR write a show that has enough depth of instrumentation to survive without power.  Corps should be operating these generators safely at practice also.  The lack of grounding has been noticed.

Edited by Mello Dude

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Generators aren't that big or that loud. 

Depends on the generator.

If you have a generator that's only intended  to run a soundboard and some other electronics,it wouldn't need to be that big.

From what I saw last summer,the generators that corps were using had a lot more capacity,including

running lights in their warm up area.

They were mounted on small trailers and  were not exactly quiet.

So,unless corps wants to carry a second generator,strictly  for the sound board,maybe they already do,there could be 

issues with size and noise.

Edited by rpbobcat