Electronics question

17 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Very important to get a generator with an inverter on it, which is what almost all of the corps are using. In addition to that, most are also using power conditioners (although some use the cheap ones that are just glorified power strips).

Most people use backups for synths/mixers etc, but don't put their amps/speakers on battery backup because it would drain the batteries extremely quickly (amongst other reasons that's a terrible idea).

A home battery backup system could easily run all the electronics for 30 minutes.  The whole setup could easily be installed on a wheeled skid and be just like another piece of equipment wheeled out.  They aren't that big, but they are heavy. 

But whatever solution used, there should not be any special treatment for corps if technical glitches come up   Live by electronics, die by electronics and I don't mean by non grounded equipment.

23 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

A home battery backup system could easily run all the electronics for 30 minutes.  The whole setup could easily be installed on a wheeled skid and be just like another piece of equipment wheeled out.  They aren't that big, but they are heavy. 

But whatever solution used, there should not be any special treatment for corps if technical glitches come up   Live by electronics, die by electronics and I don't mean by non grounded equipment.

I think they get a grace period now to avoid penalties in the event it doesnt boot up right away. But as we saw with SCV in either 15 or 16, they opted to just go even if it wasn't working right away. 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:23 PM, Mello Dude said:

There are a ton of UPS's out there that can handle these systems. 

Yes and no.

Most corps (and bands...including mine) have a UPS running for the express purpose of keeping the wifi network and mixer up and running, along with the sound engineer's iPad or computer. While you could theoretically run an entire sound system off of a UPS for a very limited time, it's not that simple. It really depends on the amperage draw of your amplifiers.

You would probably be ok in a pinch with a small system, but not with a system like most corps use, an certainly not on a regular basis. Would it work in a pinch in an emergency? Maybe.

Building a dedicated battery system is one option. I've seen bands that have several marine batteries with an inverter, but I've never used on personally. It would certainly be a lot more quiet than any generator, that's for sure. One of the band supply companies sells a pre-built rig along these lines, but I haven't seen any favorable reviews.

Edited by Kamarag