"That Was Wonderful! Boo!" Shows That Didn't Live Up

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Simple explanation - it got GH'd 

Same with 1999...taxi cab doors, giant tarps that did nothing, couple of recycled musical/visual motifs from 1996 and 1998.  In theory this show had everything it needed plus the talent to compete for a ring but just fell flat.

• Like 1

As I look st this question, I know some of what I will say goes against conventional drum corps wisdom which shows this is a matter of opinion.

A show that does not impress me even though done still hail it as brilliant is Star in 1993. I understand the music was difficult, risks were taken, I recall the controversy, the whole nine yards, but I think it’s overrated. 

Phantom in 2006, “Faust” without Gounod, Boito, or Berlioz? Yes, the musical choices were outstanding, but hardly told the story of a man who sells his soul to the devil. Also, 2014. You couldn’t stay with Tchaikovsky?

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Same with 1999...taxi cab doors, giant tarps that did nothing, couple of recycled musical/visual motifs from 1996 and 1998.  In theory this show had everything it needed plus the talent to compete for a ring but just fell flat.

I liked 99 more than 98 for the brass performance alone, and I'd tie it overall with 96. 

I wasn't a fan of the giant tarps, though. 

18 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Simple explanation - it got GH'd 

and 17, 14, 12, and more. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Watering down brass charts is what lets me down.  Marveling at some impossible phrase all season, only to get to championships and discover my favorite highlight is gone.

For whatever reason, 2018 stands out as the year hornlines kept the best parts of their shows.  Change is good!

THIS!!!!!!!!! Crown '14. In the closer right after the crazy runs, they make a full corps form (a big "X" I think) that drifts right at half time and they start playing the big power chords. Early season the lower trumpets had an awesome descending 8th note line under the chords. Some time towards the end of July they cut it out and just gave them the power chords with the rest of the corps. It's soooo boring compared to the original.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and 17, 14, 12, and more. 

I said enough about 2017. In 2017. I can’t recall what he did with 2012 but I do recall sitting in a section with die hard Cadets fans at thecrained out show at Met Life Stadoim who had no love for him and more than their share of liquid refreshment during the delay who believe he ruined the show that had potential to win. I assume 2010 is in the “and more” category. Such a varied and interesting musical book, and I’ll leave it at that.

However, to be fair to 2014, a show I really loved, there was no way they would catch BD, most of us expected Bloo and “Tilt” to come out like a lion at finals, and they did place either 1st or 2nd in every show that summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

As I look st this question, I know some of what I will say goes against conventional drum corps wisdom which shows this is a matter of opinion.

A show that does not impress me even though done still hail it as brilliant is Star in 1993. I understand the music was difficult, risks were taken, I recall the controversy, the whole nine yards, but I think it’s overrated. 

Phantom in 2006, “Faust” without Gounod, Boito, or Berlioz? Yes, the musical choices were outstanding, but hardly told the story of a man who sells his soul to the devil. Also, 2014. You couldn’t stay with Tchaikovsky?

93 star was brilliant, you heard it here first 

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

93 star was brilliant, you heard it here first 

I knew as soon as I wrote that Star 93 was overrated, I should beware of angry mobs and having my car tires slashed!😊

• Like 1