"That Was Wonderful! Boo!" Shows That Didn't Live Up

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I knew as soon as I wrote that Star 93 was overrated, I should beware of angry mobs and having my car tires slashed!😊

It took me a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time to come to appreciate that show.

I look at it today and I'm stunned, just stunned at how far advanced it was for its time.  

Just incredible.  God, those last four counts were like being smacked in the face by an angry Italian wife.

I remember being absolutely breathless in the stands when they were done.  Like '08 Phantom breathless 15 years before that, but I didn't understand what I'd just seen.  It took many viewings to really appreciate how advanced it was.

EDIT:  I was just watching the YT High-cam version and I didn't realize that Matt Harloff was drum major for '93 Star!  Good golly, no WONDER he is who he is today.

Edited by garfield

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The ‘14 changed ending was definitely not an improvement.   It was fine the way it was.  But nooooo...

Completely agree.  I enjoyed that show.

Then, at season's end, it turned into a schlock-fest in the finale.  LOL.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Completely agree.  I enjoyed that show.

Then, at season's end, it turned into a schlock-fest in the finale.  LOL.

I feel like I would have appreciated that show more (outside of the Finals week ending, of course) had it not been for that stupid stage behind the pit. It made for some really terrible sightlines if you weren't sitting very high.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I knew as soon as I wrote that Star 93 was overrated, I should beware of angry mobs and having my car tires slashed!😊

Where do you park your car? 😉

• Haha 2

SCV 2005– What on earth were they thinking? RCM? For a closer? Who did they they think why were, ‘82 Crossmen? 

13 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I feel like I would have appreciated that show more (outside of the Finals week ending, of course) had it not been for that stupid stage in front of the pit. It made for some really terrible sightlines if you weren't sitting very high.

I hear that. Saw them twice that summer, once from up high, and once from the first row.  The first-row viewing... basically all we saw was the stage and occasionally some folks marching near and around it. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, garfield said:

EDIT:  I was just watching the YT High-cam version and I didn't realize that Matt Harloff was drum major for '93 Star!  Good golly, no WONDER he is who he is today.

Thank you!!!!  I had not realized there was  high cam version publicly available...going to waste the next hour now!

This is without question goes to Crown's horn book/show from last year (2017). The inclusion of the singer halfway through the show in my opinion took one of the better hornlines that they have had in the last few years out of the picture. I think that it hurt the overall effectiveness of the show and although they probably wouldn't have beaten BD that year it was still hard to watch.

For me, a show that to this day just doesn't do it for me is BD 1994. The hornline was spectacular, but I thought the drumline was just ok, the guard was sloppy, and the visual design was terrible. I know I'm going to get a lot of negative comments, but that show just has never done anything for me, other than listening to it once in a while.