"That Was Wonderful! Boo!" Shows That Didn't Live Up

Just now, DCIPhan78 said:

This is without question goes to Crown's horn book/show from last year (2017). The inclusion of the singer halfway through the show in my opinion took one of the better hornlines that they have had in the last few years out of the picture. I think that it hurt the overall effectiveness of the show and although they probably wouldn't have beaten BD that year it was still hard to watch.

I agree there, especially on the singer. Especially when they changed much of the back half of the show and featured the singer more. How do you take one of the best hornlines over the last decade or so, and have them be the karaoke track to a singer that is marginal at best? I still don't get it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I feel like I would have appreciated that show more (outside of the Finals week ending, of course) had it not been for that stupid stage behind the pit. It made for some really terrible sightlines if you weren't sitting very high.

Yeah. We saw nothing but whoever was on the stage, the front ensemble, guard equipment, and the tips of plumes for three nights at LOS.  

The field is the stage.  Who puts a stage in front of a stage? 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I agree there, especially on the singer. Especially when they changed much of the back half of the show and featured the singer more. How do you take one of the best hornlines over the last decade or so, and have them be the karaoke track to a singer that is marginal at best? I still don't get it.

I couldn't agree more. I could understand the technique if they were a middle of the road line and they were just trying to hide them behind a singer, who mind you did a beautiful job, but it just pained me every time knowing that what may be one of Crown's best lines they have put out behind her. 

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The field is the stage.  Who puts a stage in front of a stage? 

One guy, apparently. :laughing:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DCIPhan78 said:

This is without question goes to Crown's horn book/show from last year (2017). The inclusion of the singer halfway through the show in my opinion took one of the better hornlines that they have had in the last few years out of the picture. I think that it hurt the overall effectiveness of the show and although they probably wouldn't have beaten BD that year it was still hard to watch.

Not me on that one. I loved Crown 2017, especially the back half of the show,. I watched the original version of the piece, and I loved what they did with it. Very unconventional, for sure, but it was one of my favorite shows in 2017. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TRacer said:

SCV 2005– What on earth were they thinking? RCM? For a closer? Who did they they think why were, ‘82 Crossmen? 

I also thought WTF?  The shadow of 87 is VERY long.  However, they did a good of it...I heard a lot of Ralph's 87 drum book, and the ending tag was perfect.

Now if only that one tuba hadn't screwed the pooch on his drill going into the last move...

20 hours ago, Tim K said:

I knew as soon as I wrote that Star 93 was overrated, I should beware of angry mobs and having my car tires slashed!😊

Star was brilliant that year. But tho few refuse to admit it, it took time for many, including me to truly get it and appreciate it. I was not a fan in 1993. Probably truly wasn't for about a good 7/8 years

15 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

Where do you park your car? 😉

Hahvahd Yahd

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hahvahd Yahd

My car is parked about ten miles north of Cambridge in the one time stomping grounds of North Star and St. Mary’s  Cardinals, but if my tires are going to get slashed, this is not the week to do it. There is a road crew with a police detail outside.

52 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My car is parked about ten miles north of Cambridge in the one time stomping grounds of North Star and St. Mary’s  Cardinals, but if my tires are going to get slashed, this is not the week to do it. There is a road crew with a police detail outside.

and Whitey Bulger celebrations

• Haha 2