"That Was Wonderful! Boo!" Shows That Didn't Live Up

For me, there are, of course, many shows that I felt disappointed by or didn't live up to expectations, but there's only one that really hurt - Regiment 1997. I'm mad, mad, mad about Wagner's Ring - I must have 30 recordings of it. I wish they had done the show 10 years later when they were so amazing at story telling. I wish there was more color in it. I wish they wouldn't have tinkered with the music as much as they did. While I understand why they didn't do The Ride of the Valkyries (there is SO MUCH more great music in The Ring), I felt not doing it was a mistake, since that would have been the one moment in the show that every single person in the stands would be familiar with. In reality, I wish they had done it over 4 years, focusing one year on each Ring opera - would have been amazing.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:52 AM, MikeD said:

Not me on that one. I loved Crown 2017, especially the back half of the show,. I watched the original version of the piece, and I loved what they did with it. Very unconventional, for sure, but it was one of my favorite shows in 2017. 

Me too. I’m usually meh on Crown shows. This one was awesome from top to bottom and the singer was great and effectively used! I think it is my favorite Crown show and my second favorite show of 2017, behind BD.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 10:40 AM, queenanne_1536 said:

LOL. I hated the show in '93. I hated the show for years afterwards. It took over a decade to grow on me, but I'm glad I kept revisiting it and fighting for it. It was well worth it. Now, I not only consider it the greatest and only perfectly designed show in DCI history, but is is my absolute all time favorite show - for so many reasons. It's the show I listen to most, by far.

I never understood why people hated that show so much. I saw/heard it the first time in 1995, I think and was mesmerized by it.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:23 AM, jaylogan said:

I never understood why people hated that show so much. I saw/heard it the first time in 1995, I think and was mesmerized by it.

easy: it was SO different for the time. the starkness of it, the long build to the massive ending, the body truly being introduced by the full corps, you name it. It change the game and still took a few years for much of it to integrate into what became the new norm. The next year, it was almost like activity wide people avoided taking inspiration from it and went back to louder higher faster for the standard design. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

easy: it was SO different for the time. the starkness of it, the long build to the massive ending, the body truly being introduced by the full corps, you name it. It change the game and still took a few years for much of it to integrate into what became the new norm. The next year, it was almost like activity wide people avoided taking inspiration from it and went back to louder higher faster for the standard design. 

Same for 88 Suncoast....you either loved or hated it at the time.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:23 AM, jaylogan said:

Sine I may have been the one who got the Star in 93 discussion, for me, it may be 90 and 91 were such amazing shows and 93 was so different. I am also not a huge Bartok Fan. So I know when I say it did not live up to expectations, it is personal taste. We all have our likes and dislikes.

However, it may also be the controversy surrounding the show. There may never have been a more disputed show in all DCI history. It is always at the top or near the top of shows people believed derserved the title but did not win it. There are the diverging opinions of those at finals in 93 who claim it was one of the most electric moments at finals and others who say it was not. There is also what I call the “sour grapes” crowd who believes Star left the competitive field because they were angry about not winning. This has certainly died down over the years, but for a while it was a pretty hot topic. 

I always thought of 93 Star as the complete opposite of this thread. So many people hated that show when it came out and now viewed as one of the classics. While that definitely isn't the case for everyone, the consensus seems to be that way. 

IMO, it was ahead of its time and a lot of people weren't ready. That show is 25 years old (WOW) and would not seem out of place if performed today. To me, that's a sign of a great show but completely understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The first corps that stood out to me to fit the theme of this thread was 2014 Crown. That was a show when I first saw it at the beginning of the season I lost my mind. As the season went on I got less and less excited to see the show until I was completely worn down by the end.

That hornline was incredible, though.

54 minutes ago, East9900 said:

I always thought of 93 Star as the complete opposite of this thread. So many people hated that show when it came out and now viewed as one of the classics. While that definitely isn't the case for everyone, the consensus seems to be that way. 

IMO, it was ahead of its time and a lot of people weren't ready. That show is 25 years old (WOW) and would not seem out of place if performed today. To me, that's a sign of a great show but completely understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The first corps that stood out to me to fit the theme of this thread was 2014 Crown. That was a show when I first saw it at the beginning of the season I lost my mind. As the season went on I got less and less excited to see the show until I was completely worn down by the end.

That hornline was incredible, though.

I was with it until they hosed the drill for the closer.  I get why they did it because they were never gonna have the time to clean what they originally had by finals night and the risk of collisions was still real when they hosed it, but that kaleidoscopic run and gun with images of atoms and particles and orbits and such was thrilling to watch.  And hosing that drill made it possible for that section of the music to shine so much it's still one of my go-to listen shows.

On 11/7/2018 at 3:16 PM, 84BDsop said:

Same for 88 Suncoast....you either loved or hated it at the time.

ah yes, Symphonic Dances for the confused drum corps fan as it was called

• Haha 1