"That Was Wonderful! Boo!" Shows That Didn't Live Up

4 hours ago, East9900 said:

I always thought of 93 Star as the complete opposite of this thread. So many people hated that show when it came out and now viewed as one of the classics. While that definitely isn't the case for everyone, the consensus seems to be that way. 

IMO, it was ahead of its time and a lot of people weren't ready. That show is 25 years old (WOW) and would not seem out of place if performed today. To me, that's a sign of a great show but completely understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

The first corps that stood out to me to fit the theme of this thread was 2014 Crown. That was a show when I first saw it at the beginning of the season I lost my mind. As the season went on I got less and less excited to see the show until I was completely worn down by the end.

That hornline was incredible, though.

I many ways this thread is subjective and what did not live up to expectations for one may not be the same for another.  I think a great deal has to do with the hype a show received prior to the season and even during the season that lead to either high or low expectations. I'll use two shows from 2009 which I did enjoy and appreciate, one that exceeded expectations, one that did not.

I was only able to see one live show in 2009, the Beanpot in Beverly, MA in early July. At intermission I had to leave the show due to an emergency. This meant I did not see the WC corps which included Crown and Cadets. I heard from people at the show how I missed a true masterpiece in Crown and "The Grass is Always Greener," it would be the show of the year and win a title, and though I did not yet comment on DCP, I read it faithfully and anytime Crown placed below BD, many posters claimed it was a conspiracy, the judges were ignorant and anti-Crown, and all you have to do is look at past threads and you can see just how much that how was loved. Cadets used "West Side Story" again and there were all kinds of comments by people who attended the show that it was not 1994, speak less of 1984. They should never have revisited Bernstein, etc. Similar opinions were expressed on DCP and no surprise the discussion were heated. 

It's now August and I head to the theater. I see Cadets, and I loved the how. No it did not evoke the emotion of what I saw in 1984, and it was not as exciting as that night in Foxboro in 1994, but for me it was still a powerful show. I also saw Crown. Did I enjoy the show? Yes. Did I see vast improvement and realize Crown would be a champion one day? Absolutely. Did I believe it would take a title? No. As I look back I see it as an example of how hype led to higher expectations for Crown. 

4 hours ago, dans said:

Absolutely loved 88 Suncoast. One of my favorite shows!

Me too.   Hell, when I had an answering machine on my landline, I used the opening fanfare (from the tymp roll) as the greeting...and sang to it.

"You have reached Sandra and Sam, but we can't come to the phone.  So please leave your name and number and your message after you have heard the tone.  Wait....for...the....tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *beep* "

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dans said:

Absolutely loved 88 Suncoast. One of my favorite shows!

I did as well. '88 was my "I'm taking a season off" year (in truth it was my "What do you mean I'm cut?!?" year.) That show always appealed to me as accessible and fan friendly. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

ah yes, Symphonic Dances for the confused drum corps fan as it was called

LOL. I remember sitting in the stands at finals with my late father and him saying stuff like "They just made a blob....why is it a blob? Ohhhhh....now it makes sense....it turned into a stick thing with another bigger stick thing. Wait...why is there a big blue beach ball?!?! I'm so confused! But I like the music!" 

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. I remember sitting in the stands at finals with my late father and him saying stuff like "They just made a blob....why is it a blob? Ohhhhh....now it makes sense....it turned into a stick thing with another bigger stick thing. Wait...why is there a big blue beach ball?!?! I'm so confused! But I like the music!" 

I remember watching the perc feature and wondering when the PLO got a color guard....

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2018 at 9:44 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

I feel like I would have appreciated that show more (outside of the Finals week ending, of course) had it not been for that stupid stage behind the pit. It made for some really terrible sightlines if you weren't sitting very high.

Yes. I'm stunned none of the visual panel discussed this with the corps. Maybe they did and were ignored. That's an elementary issue.

Edited by BigW

On 11/6/2018 at 5:23 AM, jaylogan said:

I never understood why people hated that show so much. I saw/heard it the first time in 1995, I think and was mesmerized by it.

I didn't appreciate the body movements, the lack of loud playing, the drill, the music. Nothing in 1993. Call me stupid and I'm fine with that :) I'm just glad I got it finally, because it is spectacular.