A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

Keep in mind that USA Today is the lead paper of the Gannett Newspaper group.  They have papers and resources all over the country.  They may be the paper publishing, but they could have used local resources to research the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Gannett_Company

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Keep in mind that USA Today is the lead paper of the Gannett Newspaper group.  They have papers and resources all over the country.  They may be the paper publishing, but they could have used local resources to research the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Gannett_Company

Dang two papers close to me and Guam Daily News. GDN might be only island based paper but been a while since I was there.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Having worked in the news business for a good portion of my adult life, I can tell you that USA Today has many resources and uses stringers (freelancers) on a regular basis. This type of reporting is well within their wheel house. And they don’t bite on a story like this unless it has teeth. If it is indeed USA Today, it will be very impactful.

47 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Doesn't he report to a board? Is he letting them down or are they letting him down?

(I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.)

Are you suggesting this has prevented or held him back from taking action?  Hiding behind the BOD?  I'm not buying it. That's like the head coach blaming it on the general manager. Good luck making that work. 

Just now, HockeyDad said:

Are you suggesting this has prevented or held him back from taking action?  Hiding behind the BOD?  I'm not buying it. That's like the head coach blaming it on the general manager. Good luck making that work. 

I don't know, and I think you don't know either. I do seem to remember that the first move of the abortive G7 coup, led by George Hopkins, was to remove Acheson.

Dan A. did state the following in his statement, and it seems pretty clear on penalties... particularly for any DCI Corps that knowingly violated the new DCI Policies and procedures put in place in May.

" Not adhering to the Code of Conduct for hiring practices or other violations, DCI can prohibit participation and we have "

So it seems to me that we will soon find out if " prohibiting participation " of Corps that knowingly violated the new stringent policies and reporting to DCI HQ requirements are mere empty words, or if DCI HQ. is actually really serious now about  " the safety " of its young participants moving forward. No doubt this will be a defining moment in the history of DCI with its very future existence at stake here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Doesn't he report to a board? Is he letting them down or are they letting him down?

(I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.)

The CEO of any non-profit reports to their Board. In this case, the Board is still predominantly made up of individuals who are salaried employees of member corps...which is the beginning of the problem.

Remember a few months ago when the then-current DCI Board Chair had, as his assistant corps director, someone who'd lost their teaching license for inappropriate contact with a high school student? Great optics AND great judgment there. 

DCI needs to restructure so that it has a Board independent of the member corps, and a CEO who can act like a real commissioner (which the existing structure doesn't allow). There should also be a mandatory reporting procedure for all staff members, volunteers, and other adults (including marching members) who violate "league standards" related to abuse and inappropriate behavior, so that those who are habitual rule-breakers can't hide from their past by jumping to another corps (which has happened for decades).

The industry has let themselves down, and the blame is on all shoulders, but I'd put more of it on the corps' representatives to DCI more than anyone else's, since they're the ones who had the ability to change the culture and the rules all along.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Having worked in the news business for a good portion of my adult life, I can tell you that USA Today has many resources and uses stringers (freelancers) on a regular basis. This type of reporting is well within their wheel house. And they don’t bite on a story like this unless it has teeth. If it is indeed USA Today, it will be very impactful.

My guess is, whom ever breaks the story (USA Today, Tricia, Jaccii) it is going to be very impactful!

• Like 1

DCI put the Cadets on Probation last winter, until an internal audit of their financials, as well as an internal audit of the Corps policies and procedures, reporting mechanisms to safeguard its current and future members took place.. Presumably that internal audit by DCI HQ and their hired firm has been completed by now. But if we recall, this was to have been completed by the end of this summer, and DCI HQ was to make an announcement " by September " their press release stated back then if the Cadets probation status would be either lifted, or extended, or something else. But no word yet ( as far as I know ) on the Cadets status from DCI HQ, and so they are behind schedule it appears on that deadline. Not sure what has caused the timeline delay here. Maybe others are more privy to why that September deadline has come and passed, with no official word from DCI HQ on the Cadets probationary status. That needs to be cleared up, and quickly for all concerned here ( Cadets included ), as prospective auditioneers/ parents are making 2019 season plans now.

Edited by BRASSO