A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

There are other important factors we are forgetting regarding BOA. BOA deals with high school programs. Schools both public and non public have strict rules and policies in place regarding hiring and fraternization. A huge number of participants are below the age of consent and many states have laws that state that even if a student is of legal age, no school employee or volunteer is allowed to have a relationship with a student. We’ve seen in the cases of some bad DCI hires what happens when adults who work in public schools violate boundaries. BOA also largely functions during the school year. Remember too, most likely BOA did not create these procedures, state legislatures did.

The schools are on the hook for vetting their staff and ensuring the students are safe. If the school chooses to sign up for a BOA marching band regional, or a concert band festival sponsored by MFA, etc...it is still on the school system to make sure staff hired are safe. I don't know if MFA would have anything at all like we want DCI to have. Groups do not "belong" to BOA....they sign up for a contest.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

For those who choose to rage, nothing will please them.  Then they will complain that DCI had to hire a third party to say that they care.  

No rage here. Just a statement of fact. DCI keeping their own PR council is like joe average citizen decide to represent themselves as an attorney. Both have fools for clients. It is not too difficult to contrast DCI's response to YEA's. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BigW said:

Wallace Loh (the president of U of M) has been the ONLY person running things at U of M who has had any backbone regarding that tragedy/fiasco. A young man died, everyone went into deep CYA mode except for him. Their Board of Regents.... I can't say what I really want to say about them here, which is a lot of old school really honked off Bari player talk.

I hear that, W. 

19 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

No rage here. Just a statement of fact. DCI keeping their own PR council is like joe average citizen decide to represent themselves as an attorney. Both have fools for clients. It is not too difficult to contrast DCI's response to YEA's. 

There is a reason I sleep with my attorney...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sideways said:

There is a reason I sleep with my attorney...

so either way it turns out, you get screwed?

:laughing:

• Haha 9

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're very correct on DCA.

Jeff, what worries me on that is this:

RB shows up at DCA Championships, everyone on DCP who saw him (I didn't and would have) pretty much quietly goes the other direction whistling "Blues in the Night".

One of the more recent posts on the Pioneer Website intimates that the board seems to think that they can stroll into DCA easily.

How did they get that idea and belief is the question floating in my head. I'm hoping it was some goofy assumption/misunderstanding RB has made somehow, not that anyone important in DCA actually told him that.

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Jeff, what worries me on that is this:

RB shows up at DCA Championships, everyone on DCP who saw him (I didn't and would have) pretty much quietly goes the other direction whistling "Blues in the Night".

One of the more recent posts on the Pioneer Website intimates that the board seems to think that they can stroll into DCA easily.

How did they get that idea and belief is the question floating in my head. I'm hoping it was some goofy assumption/misunderstanding RB has made somehow, not that anyone important in DCA actually told him that.

Have seen RB at Annapolis riding van to the stadium with other big wigs. With his thinking he probably thinks that gives him an “in”. As for anyone else just color them clueless or think RB has it all figured out

Sounds like to me that perhaps the reporter is barking up the wrong tree. It should be the DCI BOD aka Corps directors, and they are choosing Dan to take the hit publicly and will ultimately take the full brunt of all of this. I guess as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that Dan is just a messenger and not a decision maker. He is basically Sarah Huckabee Sanders. The Corps Directors are the ones that decide the rules, the policies and procedures, etc.

So if we reframe it that he is the press secretary of the BOD aka Corps Directors, it begs the question, does one demand that all corps directors or the ones on the Board step down? Or should there be a transfer of power from the BOD aka Corps Directors to the DCI CEO? As far as I can tell, the current structure is such that Dan doesn't possess the same power as your typical CEO. Am I reading this whole situation wrong here in terms of the true decision makes?