A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

2 hours ago, BigW said:

When you're King of your own land and realm Jim, you can begin to believe your own fantasies and propaganda if you're not careful and grounded. As a corollary, if one is surrounded by yes-men and women... it makes it worse.

My background in this is an elderly alcoholic who kept telling us that he only had one drink a night in a small glass. Unsaid part is he kept topping that sucker off bunch of times. “But it’s only ONE drink”. Finally realized in his mind it was one drink and he was serious. When I read the RB comments made me wonder what reality he is seeing. Including just bop over to DCA.

And another word for yes men can be “enabler” as never see anything wrong. This guy had one of those two for decades and huge part of the problem

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

As you know, it's customary for reporters to ask the subject of a story for comment, though they often don't give them much time to respond, because they don't want to be scooped. (In some national news lately, I've seen a couple reporters reach out to someone for comment only to see the respondent quickly do an interview with a friendlier media outlet in order to push out their version of events before the original reporter's story is released.)

Saw another example of this just today, when the New York Times got hold of someone's emails in a story of some possible national interest (it probably gets more attention a week from tomorrow, which is likely to be big news day) and reached out to that person to ask for his explanation of what the emails meant. He quickly wrote a column that was published in the Daily Caller, in which he printed his own emails (and attacked the person he assumed had leaked them to the Times), before the Times even posted their piece, so there are now dueling explanations--and the Times got scooped by the subject of their reporting.

That's the risk to a reporter of asking a subject for comment on an impending story. And a bit like what Acheson did!

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

he was there with the WDCHOF. he wasn't there representing the corps. And DCA corps are aware of that post. And I can tell you he's not welcomed. he buys a ticket to finals fine. Bringing in a corps....nope. 

Whew. Thank God. Big sigh of relief.

18 hours ago, garfield said:

Really, there's SO MUCH SPECULATION in this thread...

You need to ignore it and just wait for facts. Your kid may have marched his last year already.  

And calm yourself. 

FSAS stands for “former S assault survivor” (who, unlike Ford, reported it) so my views are through an entirely different lens. I’ll stay ###### off, thanks. 

There are a number of people on here that have a lot more knowledge of the workings of DCI then I do.

After reading Acheson's comments and the posts here and previous threads I have a few questions:

1.Are there specific "violations" that trigger a corps suspension,or can a corps be suspended ,simply by DCI

determining  they have violated DCI's  bylaws,code of conduct etc. ?

2.If DCI decides a corps should be suspended,do DCI's rules have an appeal process,including an outside arbitrator ?

3.Who in DCI makes the decision that a suspension is warranted,i.e, can it be done by the CEO alone or does the 

DCI board have to be  involved ?

4.Here's a question for any lawyers on here:

If there is an accusation involving a minor and an adult,does the fact that corps travel across state lines,

have any impact ?

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Saw another example of this just today, when the New York Times got hold of someone's emails in a story of some possible national interest (it probably gets more attention a week from tomorrow, which is likely to be big news day) and reached out to that person to ask for his explanation of what the emails meant. He quickly wrote a column that was published in the Daily Caller, in which he printed his own emails (and attacked the person he assumed had leaked them to the Times), before the Times even posted their piece, so there are now dueling explanations--and the Times got scooped by the subject of their reporting.

That's the risk to a reporter of asking a subject for comment on an impending story. And a bit like what Acheson did!

It would have been better if Dan actually shared what he knew (ala publishing his own emails). Instead... we get the same things... crickets. Although I thought it was a nice touch trying to deflect anything that may have happened pre-June and the new policies. Like they should not be held accountable for whatever happened in the past... even if they a) knew about it or b) were enablers.

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

I seem to recall both the reporters praising YEA and the professionalism they exhibited after the GH scandal et al.  Perhaps DCI corporate should hire the same PR firm...it might do them a bit a good at this juncture...

This is exactly what I have been saying since May. Even some board members wanted this to happen. Unfortunately... independent board members are out numbered by corps director board members. So they shoulder the responsibility for this mess as well.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

There are a number of people on here that have a lot more knowledge of the workings of DCI then I do.

After reading Acheson's comments and the posts here and previous threads I have a few questions:

1.Are there specific "violations" that trigger a corps suspension,or can a corps be suspended ,simply by DCI

determining  they have violated DCI's  bylaws,code of conduct etc. ?

2.If DCI decides a corps should be suspended,do DCI's rules have an appeal process,including an outside arbitrator ?

3.Who in DCI makes the decision that a suspension is warranted,i.e, can it be done by the CEO alone or does the 

DCI board have to be  involved ?

4.Here's a question for any lawyers on here:

If there is an accusation involving a minor and an adult,does the fact that corps travel across state lines,

have any impact ?

As for the last question Texas was looking into charging Jerry Sandusky if PA dropped the ball. Reason was JS had a minor with him when Penn State went to an Alamo Bowl game. 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, momrod2000 said:

How would this prevent sexual predators or sexual assault?  It wouldn't.  It would only mean that if anything happened, the victim would be an adult instead of a minor.

it removes the "attraction" (for lack of a better word) of minors on tour which could draw the worst of sexual predators into the activity

it simplifies the issue somewhat - removing statutory rape, abuse of a minor, the mixture of minor members with adult members etc..

there is an inherent danger when you mix adults and minors on tour 24/7 

again, I'm not "advocating" this as a solution - I just feel strongly that all possibilities are at least explored and not dismissed without cause

• Like 1