A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I do think that actions not taken before the Hopkins revelations need to be treated differently than actions not taken after the Hopkins revelations--but not unconditionally excused. If Acheson had been confronted with serious allegations and did nothing, regardless of the fact that (perhaps) the board was preventing him from doing something, then that would show him to have weak morals (hypothetically speaking, if the company where you work enables wrongdoing, you have an ethical obligation to speak out or resign) and thus not be the kind of person who should be leading an organization like DCI. But we just don't know enough yet about the situation.

Not sure I agree that events before the Hopocalypse should not be dismissed.  FTK was just as wrong back then as it is now.

2 hours ago, karuna said:

If Dan can’t face the press and answer questions honestly and thoroughly he needs to go.  Same for all the rest of the old guard. They are all hurting the activity.  And that applies to band, guard , and drum line world as well.  If you suspect abuse or misconduct you have a duty to report it.  You don’t need legal proof;  you just need a reasonable suspicion.  Doing nothing is not ok.  

If it were me I wouldn't take DA's job if I did not have the authority to make tough decisions.  Otherwise too easy to get into a situation where you lose all credibility  

• Like 1

#1:  I, and other friends, have commented about how much weight Dan A has lost.  Exercise and diet, he says.  Good for him, I say; I hope it buys him 10 extra years.

#2:  It takes GUTS to put yourself on public TV, in any circumstance, and address head on a coming freight train.  Rational people can judge his effectiveness now or later but no one can doubt his determination to take the heat of being first and potentially wrong.  Since its founding decades ago, DCI, the org, has been STARVED for operating cash by a system designed to pay out all cash to the member corps participants.  Calls to JUST HIRE A PR FIRM! are hollow when one finally realizes that there is little or NO money in the DCI bank account to pay for such things.  Such calls for "sanity" are childish and don't represent the best path forward.

#3:  Dan Acheson may or may not be the appropriate leader for the future of drum corps.  But it seems to be an asinine business decision to axe the person and staff which has had no complaints in fulfilling their mission, and that has and has had strong abuse policies in place.  If there's proof that Dan A himself knew (not HAD to know, but KNEW) of some abuse and didn't speak up, he needs to be held to account.  Until such an accusation is made, it seems to be a MUCH better decision to keep in place the infrastructure that most definitely will affect the future of the activity even if these charges don't.  If they don't have a tour to play, the corps can't do anything.  Dan and his crew have been in charge of the tour, and for tour promotion, and VERY LITTLE ELSE.

#4:  Pre-2018 was different than post-2018 will be.  We who love the activity should put forth considerable energy deflecting frivolous and hyperbole-filled calls for extreme actions.

IMO

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Not sure I agree that events before the Hopocalypse should not be dismissed.  FTK was just as wrong back then as it is now.

Which is why I said that if Acheson clearly knew about such allegations and didn't act because the board prevented him from acting, then he should have resigned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Fixed those for you.

I'm curious if you were always under the mistaken impression that DCI's command and control functions were more expansive than they really are.

Again, hiding behind process or policy is a loser. Reference Penn State. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Dan is doing exactly what the lawyers are advising him to do. if there's a blame here, it's the lawyers.

The buck stops at Dan. Blaming the lawyers, hiding behind process, this is not going to end well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1