A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which is why I said that if Acheson clearly knew about such allegations and didn't act because the board prevented him from acting, then he should have resigned.

"...if..." and "...cleary..." are the operative words..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Again, hiding behind process or policy is a loser. Reference Penn State. 

and lo and behold, the NCAA caved on many things with Penn State, especially as it came out how flawed their investigation into Miami was. In fact, what has happened to Michigan State post Nasser? or Ohio State's football this past summer?

please, don't hold the NCAA up as a role model to follow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

The buck stops at Dan. Blaming the lawyers, hiding behind process, this is not going to end well. 

clearly you've never been in a position where you needed legal advice and a directive from a BOD on what to do per the charter. Sure, you talk a great pitchfork game on here, but in his shoes, you'd probably do exactly as he is.

I'm not saying his way is right. But I do get it

Will one of you memory-wizards shake your circuits and attempt to verify whether or not there was an actual case of a school refusing housing or hosting a show, or even participating with drum corps as fans (clinics, etc) that has ended, as a result of the Cadets/GH news in the spring, and/or as a result of any messaging from DCI that's occured since, please?

There are contentions thrown around that, I think, have nothing but repetition as their actual evidence. 

I'd appreciate being shown that I'm wrong and, specifically, so we can measure it and its impacts on the activity.

No "But it might..." here, please.  Just, so far, is there any evidence of direct, measurable result?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Will one of you memory-wizards shake your circuits and attempt to verify whether or not there was an actual case of a school refusing housing or hosting a show

Didn't either West Chester or Univ. of PA cancel a show in the Philly area last year when the Hopkins story broke?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Will one of you memory-wizards shake your circuits and attempt to verify whether or not there was an actual case of a school refusing housing or hosting a show, or even participating with drum corps as fans (clinics, etc) that has ended, as a result of the Cadets/GH news in the spring, and/or as a result of any messaging from DCI that's occured since, please?

There are contentions thrown around that, I think, have nothing but repetition as their actual evidence. 

I'd appreciate being shown that I'm wrong and, specifically, so we can measure it and its impacts on the activity.

No "But it might..." here, please.  Just, so far, is there any evidence of direct, measurable result?

As I recall, a show slated for Philadelphia (Franklin Field) had to move to Allentown when UPenn reacted to the GH news.

Not recalling any housing situations that flipped specifically because of recent news of that nature.  I am sure some will claim it has an effect, and they will point to the trouble we had finding housing when all of world class were in Allentown this August.  Housing is already a problem due to a general aversion to liability.

But since you asked for measurable evidence of claims popularly repeated here - seems like the trendy thing today is to claim that drum corps is (or at least, has been) a boiling cauldron of sexual abuse.  To me, the staggering number and nature of headlines I have read concerning sexual abuse in schools suggest that they have the bigger problem, historically and currently.  I do not see how they can claim the higher moral ground.

There should not be an existential crisis as long as the drum corps activity is taking reasonable measures to prevent abuse.  And the Dan Acheson statement that precipitated this thread spent the majority of its time describing those measures.  That is exactly what he should be doing.