A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

7 hours ago, BigW said:

I thought about this. Maybe later today for the nice big fat Sunday Paper everyone sits down and reads?

Won't be in Harrisburg then if a fat paper has it. The 3 times a week paper been getting thin on Sunday for its $3. And PennLive so full of ads slow as Hades. 

I find it odd that the reporter for the Inquirer posted her article asking for drum corps victims to contact her on November 1. If this article is ready to go, why would she be asking now, just days ahead of publication?  My gut says that she has info on PAST issues, but little to nothing about ongoing or current allegations.  Looking for a story that may not be there?  Or not to the degree that would be newsworthy?  I think she reached out to DA to try and get him to disclose something she could run with.  

Or, to put it another way, if she is just now trying to assemble a victim list, i don't think the article is coming any time soon.

This article might be ready but that doesn’t mean thats the end of the story. With the Penn State mess the reporter found one persons whose family was ready to talk but she didn’t stop there

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, garfield said:

Um, Dan looks great, doesn't he?

Why is he getting crap for being proactive about reinforcing what's occured since this reporter broke the whole story?  He's proactive, he gets punched.  He's reactive, he gets punched.  The lawyers say "Don't talk to the reporter.  Make a public statement that's positive and honest", he gets punched.

Nobody has yet answered the question asked here about how, exactly, Dan is supposed to be proactive about something he doesn't know about?

And I wonder why there's no clarion here for the corps directors who are apparently muzzling Dan to follow only the advice of DCI's counsel?  It appears they've abdicated all decision-making to counsel, although I suspect the voting members are in near-constant communication with the new Chairperson. 

Is there NO intellectual curiosity about why, after decades of wanting to make their own statements and run their own gigs, none of the corps directors have made public announcements beyond their original, if any, either?  

Dan did exactly what I would have told him to do. I think they have the right PR strategy, I just think its too little too late. This is damage control 101. Speaking of Dan, is it me or does it look like his health has been declining over the past couple years?

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

I find it odd that the reporter for the Inquirer posted her article asking for drum corps victims to contact her on November 1. If this article is ready to go, why would she be asking now, just days ahead of publication?  My gut says that she has info on PAST issues, but little to nothing about ongoing or current allegations.  Looking for a story that may not be there?  Or not to the degree that would be newsworthy?  I think she reached out to DA to try and get him to disclose something she could run with.  

Or, to put it another way, if she is just now trying to assemble a victim list, i don't think the article is coming any time soon.

She’s been posting it since the spring. 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:32 PM, MikeD said:

The schools are on the hook for vetting their staff and ensuring the students are safe. If the school chooses to sign up for a BOA marching band regional, or a concert band festival sponsored by MFA, etc...it is still on the school system to make sure staff hired are safe. I don't know if MFA would have anything at all like we want DCI to have. Groups do not "belong" to BOA....they sign up for a contest.

BOA or any sanctioning body (DCI, WGI, US BandsEtc., Etc.) is still responsible for vetting their judges, employees, show staff, and volunteers that help run their events. Because many of these people running the event for a local circuit are paid at the show by the school or a band parent org., I know in my area some schools cannot host a show without the circuit providing background checks of the judges and staff working the show.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hi. I administrate for a local circuit in the area. I know when the housing crunch for Allentown became known I tried to help by reaching out to member schools in our circuit. I’m not naming names, but over a dozen schools said right now drum corps was too hot after the story broke. That’s where I learned about the seminar I mentioned above. In talking to counterpart ms for our circuit the same was true in NJ, MD and DE. The coverage locally was stifling and couldn’t be missed. The Hop story had a huge effect. In fact several NJ schools were told not to participate in USBands anymore 

I mentioned the same thing. But any lack of specific newspaper citations for validations seems to satisfy the original poster.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

This article might be ready but that doesn’t mean thats the end of the story. With the Penn State mess the reporter found one persons whose family was ready to talk but she didn’t stop there

Sara Ganim had victims reaching out to her long after she thought she’d finished the Penn State story. 

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI IS the members 

I get that, Jeff. So who in your opinion would be held responsible? Just individual corps? DCI? Both? Neither? I am not being flippant but want to understand your view on where the buck stops. Dan? Board? Individual Corps?