A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

No, it would have been like this:

GH used to throw things.  See, another story Dan Acheson failed to get out in front of.  He should resign immediately, or be fired.

Getting out in front of a story is one thing.  Getting out in front of an issue is a whole other thing.  I'm also not calling for his resignation.  My point is more about how optics have changed.  20 years ago, this approach would have garnered him immense praise.  Today, I think people take things differently. I'm not sure what the solution is, but what worked back then does not appear to be working now.  

3 hours ago, Daave said:

Regardless of where one is on the caring continuum and where one falls in their beliefs on this subject...

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.  For those who don't, no explanation will do.

St. Thomas Aquinas, what are you doing posting here?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

And, not to Terry specifically, I find it reprehensible that some are calling out Dan A for creating speculation by posting ahead of the reporter, when the reporter herself is not called out for causing speculation after responding to DCI's response.

Let's play that game in reverse:  For these purposes, I'm going to suggest that I think her Tweet meant this: "I have more stuff that I just made public to Dan but it's not quite ready yet because Dan wouldn't corroborate any of our story so we'll have to work a little longer to make it Award-winning without corroborated facts."

See, it's not really appropriate for me to speculate about any alternative meaning to her words.  And it's not appropriate to do the same with DCI's "pre-sponse" (I just made that up).  

It seems to me that "Taking the High Road" would suggest giving the benefit of the doubt to the activity's voices, especially in this case because of DCI's structure and all of our knowledge that the new Board Chair has had precious few months to change 35 years of practice.

I'm your Huckleberry. I've both called out Dan for his statement as well as defended DCI against the pitchfork brigade. 

I DO think putting that release out was ####### stupid.  emphasis on #######. Why? Because it got the pitchfork brigade fired up and ready to pounce. it also put undue emphasis on Tricia to possibly put her story out sooner than she was ready for if that is indeed the story he was mentioning. 

And I have defended DCi because I actually get how the circuit was organized and set up, and they can't be liable for every sin that happened before. In the same breath, i know of the Morgan larson thing where the proof was there and they did nothing.

Could DCI as an organization done more sooner to start being proactive on this issue as opposed to letting the inmates run the asylum with no oversight? Sure they could have. After all is it even 20 years since the various financial benchmarks were put into play with the membership at the various levels? And, since I am on that topic, what kind of follow up has been done on the corps books after the initial test went down? Maybe anyone with Glassmen or Magic or Capital Regiment or even Legends could respond.

I know you have somewhat of a vested interest in defending DCI to the ends of the earth, and I do believe many here are trying to assign blame to places it shouldn't be pushed onto. But, at the same time, DCI is the corps, and over the last 46 years, they have been their own worst enemy on more than a few items, especially the topic of kids and adults. Why? because the stories are legend, from even before the formation of DCI, and some big names too. And DCI from day one until April let the inmates "control" the policing. If thats the case someone like Morgan Larson, Joel Moody, Scott Atchinson, the guy pio fired and many more would never have been around in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I find it peculiar that Dan is criticized on here, and by the "journalist" for commenting on the upcoming story, and not speaking with reporters, but there is no criticism of law enforcement for not commenting? Seems oddly one-sided, IMO. I'm not praising Dan in the least, but it would be nice if there was some balance to the criticism/comments.

anything law enforcement can or could say could affect the investigation and ruin their case. Hence why their silence

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

Getting out in front of a story is one thing.  Getting out in front of an issue is a whole other thing.  I'm also not calling for his resignation.  My point is more about how optics have changed.  20 years ago, this approach would have garnered him immense praise.  Today, I think people take things differently. I'm not sure what the solution is, but what worked back then does not appear to be working now.  

20 years ago they continued to let the inmates police themselves....and we see how that turned out

23 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

Getting out in front of a story is one thing.  Getting out in front of an issue is a whole other thing.  I'm also not calling for his resignation.

Understood.  My observation was not directed at you.

My point is more about how optics have changed.   

Mobs make their own optics.

36 minutes ago, 81Freelancers said:

Which corps are we talking about here? 

That would be the current unknown.  People who have been in the activity for decades probably have their list of probable guesses.  I have never marched, followed in the late 80s based on seeing a few PBS shows, and started attending shows again in 2011.  Only in the past 3-4 years have I delved into this forum and others.  Having said that, even I can put together a shorter mental list of probable guesses - if not people, corps.  So, it's again, it's mostly speculation at this point of who/what/when. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know you have somewhat of a vested interest in defending DCI to the ends of the earth, 

Don't know where you got this idea, but I have no vested interest what-so-ever.  In fact, I've been quite vocally opposed to what they are doing with the tour.

Do tell what makes you think you "know" about my motivations and vested interests.

Edited by garfield

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Don't know where you got this idea, but I have no vested interest what-so-ever.  In fact, I've been quite vocally opposed to what they are doing with the tour.

Do tell what makes you think you "know" about my motivations and vested interests.

because when push comes to shove, you jump to their defense vociferously, and often with snarky replies to those who disagree while questioning THEIR motives

• Thanks 2