A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

On 11/3/2018 at 3:57 PM, Jeff Ream said:

DCI IS the members 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, MusicManNJ said:

I get that, Jeff. So who in your opinion would be held responsible? Just individual corps? DCI? Both? Neither? I am not being flippant but want to understand your view on where the buck stops. Dan? Board? Individual Corps? 

I think it may be time for the DCI Board to do a MAJOR reorganization.

I teach Biology in college.   One thing taught is that when a creature faces adversity it has 3 choices:  Adapt, Migrate, or Die.

DCI is structured as a group of Corps that had split away from VFW/AL/CYO to control their own touring & competitive futures.  This happened in 1971, with implementation in 1972.

In case they haven't noticed - the world has changed since 1972.  DCI's structure has not.  DCI had a wake-up call in spring 2018 essentially but chose to hit the snooze button.  There a very limited number of additional chances to get this right - perhaps as small as one chance.

Slay the dragons.  All of them.  No matter where or who they are.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

because when push comes to shove, you jump to their defense vociferously, and often with snarky replies to those who disagree while questioning THEIR motives

Hmm...  I jump to the defense of someone being unfairly attacked.  Vociferously.  Darn right.

I'll hold my personal comments and I'd like for you to do the same.  You know very little of my motivations and you're not qualified to second guess them.

A "vested interest" (read: BIASED) accusation out of the blue is not consistent with the unbiased position you espouse here.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hmm...  I jump to the defense of someone being unfairly attacked.  Vociferously.  Darn right.

I'll hold my personal comments and I'd like for you to do the same.  You know very little of my motivations and you're not qualified to second guess them.

A "vested interest" (read: BIASED) accusation out of the blue is not consistent with the unbiased position you espouse here.

if he being unfairly attacked? you can search on here and see Morgan Larson stuff being posted in 2012. You can see where I raised the Scott Atchinson issue last summer and got scorched by the now most disgraced person in the activity. Plus those of us who actually live here...and...gasp...may have better connections and ties to YEA and the region at large than you do were posting honestly about the effects the scandal has had here when it comes to hosting corps for show days, camps etc. 

38 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think it may be time for the DCI Board to do a MAJOR reorganization.

I teach Biology in college.   One thing taught is that when a creature faces adversity it has 3 choices:  Adapt, Migrate, or Die.

DCI is structured as a group of Corps that had split away from VFW/AL/CYO to control their own touring & competitive futures.  This happened in 1971, with implementation in 1972.

In case they haven't noticed - the world has changed since 1972.  DCI's structure has not.  DCI had a wake-up call in spring 2018 essentially but chose to hit the snooze button.  There a very limited number of additional chances to get this right - perhaps as small as one chance.

Slay the dragons.  All of them.  No matter where or who they are.

the Board has needed to be run by more than the corps themselves for years. 

• Like 1

Haven't read most of the posts in this thread since late last week, but this report on George Hopkins produced by the law firm YEA! hired (which I would guess has been linked already in this discussion today) is presumably not the story that Nadolny (and others?) was working on.

So I remain unsure about whether Acheson's response was the correct one or not.

Just came out as I got it right before you posted it. And I’m thinking this isn’t the story

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if he being unfairly attacked? you can search on here and see Morgan Larson stuff being posted in 2012. You can see where I raised the Scott Atchinson issue last summer and got scorched by the now most disgraced person in the activity. Plus those of us who actually live here...and...gasp...may have better connections and ties to YEA and the region at large than you do were posting honestly about the effects the scandal has had here when it comes to hosting corps for show days, camps etc. 

Oh, come on, Jeff, don't play sissy with me. I've been around here a long time, too.  And it appears that you know full well how to do snark.  LOL.  Come on, lighten up, and don't play innocent either, your halo's crooked.  So, let's just slow down and address this, and I'll do my best to hold my snark in check.

First, to you and MusicManNJ, I apologize if it felt like I was "challenging" you in your territory, that wasn't my point.  And, BTW, I have connections among Cadets vets, directors, judges and family all along the East coast.  No, I'm not dialed in as you two must certainly be.  But who's dialed in was not my point - in fact, YOU, Jeff corroborated MusicManNJ's contention, and I said as much.  I don't care how much you guys think of yourselves, I'm not buying one person's anonymous opinion on a drum corps chat board as proof that there's measurable impact from the event.  If I didn't say it before, and in case that's another thing that has your panties tightened up (<-- EDIT: That's snark), THANK YOU, Jeff, for corroborating what he said and THANK YOU, MusicManNJ for bringing it to light.  As I said at the outset, your reputations are both known by me and is not in contention.

But, now that THAT'S out of the way, let's talk about the bigger issues of what Dan knew and what you think he should have done.  I have a couple of several questions, if you please.

First, the Larson and Atchinson issues; what's your point?  That Dan knew then because you were alerting and making "things known" in whatever medium was available to you? 

Question: did you know THEN as you know now that DCI is but a tool of the directors? 

Question: Did you take any of this info TO those directors, and, if yes, what was their response? 

Question: What were you expecting Dan to say to this knowledge now, last spring, or in 2012 when it was brought to light?  You knew he was powerless; what do you want him to say now, today, about those events?

And forgive me, but I'm finding it hard connecting these two issues you remind us of, and the current one, to something DAN ACHESON or his office should have done.  If everyone knew this darned "Open Secret", is Dan A just a fall guy?

If he's guilty, I'll be the first in line to strip him of his epaulettes. Until then, you darn right I'm going to defend him.  If he's innocent due to his true circumstances, and that's verifiable, the correct BUSINESS decision is to defend him until proven otherwise.

I'm first in line there, too.

Edited by garfield