A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

On 11/5/2018 at 3:58 AM, garfield said:

This is a message board, perfectly believable. 

This is just the first 10 pages of this thread.

And Dan A is accused of "fueling speculation".  Unbelievable.

And a reporter saying "A story is coming but it's not ready" is not fueling speculation?

2 hours ago, Icer said:

There are two levels here, especially with regard to YEA:

1. In the wake of the Sandusky scandal, Pennsylvania instituted new guidelines for background checking everyone. As far as I am aware, YEA has been at or above the requirements for compliance.  The problem is (a) sometimes a person can come up clean on a background check who is not (which is my understanding of what happened with Atchison); and (b) in the case or Hop, he would have passed any background check imaginable right up until the moment the Inquirer story was published. 

2. Is there stuff that SHOULD be known?  But if a person has been fired from a previous job and the reasons are known (and have anything to do with sexual impropriety, substance abuse, etc), then it is just asking for trouble to hire them.  Again, Hop would not have triggered anything, but at this point I think a corps would be wise to do at least a google search on everyone whom they hire in any significant capacity. Hopefully YEA and every corps has instituted such a policy by now. 

Notwithstanding the above, one cannot and should not act on the basis of rumors. Investigate, yes, but act? Not without some substantiation. He said-she said is one thing.  But when there isn’t even a she-said to talk to, it is patently unfair to penalize a person who cannot respond to vapor. 

any teacher that loses their license should be reported somewhere some how

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

any teacher that loses their license should be reported somewhere some how

I would think you are correct, but as I don’t know all the reasons someone could lose their teaching license (maybe refusing to join the union?), I would think prudence would dictate digging one level deeper before acting. Obviously sexual misconduct is an automatic disqualified in my book. 

32 minutes ago, Icer said:

I would think you are correct, but as I don’t know all the reasons someone could lose their teaching license (maybe refusing to join the union?), I would think prudence would dictate digging one level deeper before acting. Obviously sexual misconduct is an automatic disqualified in my book. 

yup, i meant for inappropriate or violent behavior. But really it has to pretty bad to lose the license to begin with

13 minutes ago, jent said:

Interesting... crimes with minors, theft of property and breaching security of the state standard test, etc

18 minutes ago, jent said:

it should be looked at when a background check is reviewed

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it should be looked at when a background check is reviewed

Nice I searched on a name and it had 2 records... first was when they were charged and second was when they were convicted

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Larson? Very easy. he and the Board were made aware of the fact he was working with Colt Cadets, and had been arrested for incidents with kids. Remember, Dan made the call aboutthe Pioneer guy last year, before the rules were in place, and Roman complied by firing him ( one of the few things Roman did right). Did Dan do that? No, the guy hung around...and apparently was seen with a Soundsport group. Soundsport has to adhere to DCi rules do they not? So you can say powerless, yet he had the EXACT SAME POWERS LAST YEAR WHEN THE PIONEER GUY WAS BROUGHT TO LIGHT. Ergo, Dan COULD...and SHOULD...have done something in 2012.

Atchison? The guy frigging made USA Today. It was hardly a secret anywhere in the activity and had been mentioned here years ago before he landed at Cadets. And in the same calendar year Dan forced Roman to fire the Pioneer guy, he allowed YEA to keep Scott on staff all summer. 

So...while I agree Dan isn't the fall guy for every sin in the activity, as he more than likely had no hard proof, here's two very public issues that i know were brought to his attention that he did nothing about, yet he did something about the Pioneer guy....all while "powerless".

So you want snark, there's snark with facts and inaction on Dan's part while at the same time, he did force Roman to fire someone before the powers he now has went into effect.

This is why you'll see me often defend Dan, yet I know full well these two were well known and reported to the DCI HQ...and not a ###### thing happened.

Game, set, match. I'll await your apology

The 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, 2012...2018...

I'm just wondering, Jeff, which 2025 or 2030 mores and societal norms do you think Dan Acheson should adhere to today?

Game, set, and match?  Ha!  I know you think a lot of your answer here, Mr. McEnroe, but your last shot was on outside the line (thank you cixelsyd), I'm one up in sets, the match isn't over, and you need to either pick up your racket or concede defeat.

Some here think that current societal norms can be applied to history.  They can't.

EDIT: Drops mic, walks out

snark

Edited by garfield

So when did society start deciding that predictors should not be around minors? Oh yeah I remember in the mid 90s filling out background check paperwork for my church. Reason was church started being proactive about child protection. And at the time churches were usually behind the curve on enacting child protection measures. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari