A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

3 hours ago, dans said:

Well said sir! All the arguing on here is giving me a headache. Could we possibly start talking about drum corps again? And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not minimizing the significance of the issue on this thread.

We're talking about the current and past responsibilities of the ED of DCI. 

There are lots of other threads. Why do people feel the need to throw water on one they don't like?

If you think this is arguing, let me assure you: I'm Italian, and this is definitely NOT arguing.

A man's job, reputation, and contribution are being unfairly tarnished.  We should be careful with that, right?

Or is this just Reddit with a blue wrapper?

You’re Italian but are you Sicilian? Inside joke as late wife’s grandmother was Sicilian. 5 foot nothing, 90 pounds soaking wet with rocks in her pocket and chain smoking bundle of tough as nails. IOW... don’t #### her off!!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I thought I was being clear, but evidently not clear enough.

This thread began discussing Dan Acheson in a "what did he know, and when did he know it" context.  Several of you appear to have made up your minds.  I have not, for lack of facts.  Maybe you are privy to facts that I have not yet seen.  I am asking questions to try and put facts together.

I also try to contribute facts to the discussion, such as what I find in DCI policies and the legal system.  Some of these facts are not pretty.  I do not like them any more than the rest of you do.

• Just because sex offenders could march prior to 2018, does not mean they should have.
  • Just because certain sex offenders can get second chances in the staffs of DCI corps, does not mean they should.
  • Just because the DCI CEO was not required to address a particular questionable hire, does not mean he should not have.

I am not an advocate of any of these things.  Instead, I advocate for change - for example, ethics guidelines that are 20 times stronger and more specific, and enforcement by a compliance officer instead of the DCI CEO so as to avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest.

Until these changes come, the imperfections of our current and past systems make an ugly message.  Try not to shoot the messenger.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

We're talking about the current and past responsibilities of the ED of DCI. 

There are lots of other threads. Why do people feel the need to throw water on one they don't like?

If you think this is arguing, let me assure you: I'm Italian, and this is definitely NOT arguing.

A man's job, reputation, and contribution are being unfairly tarnished.  We should be careful with that, right?

Or is this just Reddit with a blue wrapper?

Whatever. I do believe I stated that I was not attempting to minimize the importance of this issue. No matter what you say on this site there is always someone waiting to pounce on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You sure that wasn't 76/24?

(snark just for fun)

after this morning, 80/20. ( couldn't resist)

Mandatory reporting eliminates any need for the mandatory reporter to investigate any claim.  That's why it exists, really.  It's not optional where I live.  If you're a public educator and don't do it, you face very real legal consequences.  

I think it's a good thing for those of us who work closely with minors.  Remember, DCI corps keep touting themselves as educational institutes, and they're working 24/7 with minors for months at a time.

Still waiting for the article to come out before thinking too much more about all of this. 

• Like 1

After reading through this thread, it seems to me there is another way to stop the insanity.

Facts so far:

As with any non profit or for profit publicly owned businesses, Dan A is bound by the wishes of the board.
The board is made up of member corps (conflict of interest)
The board will not impose harsh penalties that will effect their corps in any way (fact)
(There should be equal punishment for ALL organizations under the DCI umbrella. Punish Pioneer, a good punishment in my opinion,
and not punish Cadets in any way is a real issue)

They only respond to the effects of their pocketbook
That being said, the only way to stop the insanity, is to NOT support ANY corps that knowingly breaks policy.
Do not donate, do not buy their merch, do not support any member who wants to march there.
Once the corps collectively do the right thing, start supporting again.

I'm hearing the article that is suppose to come out is more about the culture of drum corps from possibly pre DCI to today.
This could be damaging to all corps if the stories come out as rumors say.

One last thing, should investigations be made on the DCA All Age side as well? 15 year olds marching with 38 year olds and older.
I know this is for DCA to decide but should they do background checks on any members over 21? Ive heard there is 1 corps that does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

• Just because sex offenders could march prior to 2018, does not mean they should have.
  • Just because certain sex offenders can get second chances in the staffs of DCI corps, does not mean they should.

Actually DCI policy is moot here as it is illegal for registered offenders to be around minors. So legally they should not have been connected with a corps any year.

Edited by JimF-LowBari