A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

58 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So far, no one who was there has connected those dots.  For all I know, his whole corps was directed to leave the campus for a noise curfew issue.

the corps as a whole was not asked to leave. In fact, there has been nothing drum corps at that facility since...show, rehearsal, spring training...because the college president found out about it. 

3 hours ago, OldBones said:

After reading through this thread, it seems to me there is another way to stop the insanity.

Facts so far:

As with any non profit or for profit publicly owned businesses, Dan A is bound by the wishes of the board.
The board is made up of member corps (conflict of interest)
The board will not impose harsh penalties that will effect their corps in any way (fact)
(There should be equal punishment for ALL organizations under the DCI umbrella. Punish Pioneer, a good punishment in my opinion,
and not punish Cadets in any way is a real issue)

They only respond to the effects of their pocketbook
That being said, the only way to stop the insanity, is to NOT support ANY corps that knowingly breaks policy.
Do not donate, do not buy their merch, do not support any member who wants to march there.
Once the corps collectively do the right thing, start supporting again.

I'm hearing the article that is suppose to come out is more about the culture of drum corps from possibly pre DCI to today.
This could be damaging to all corps if the stories come out as rumors say.

One last thing, should investigations be made on the DCA All Age side as well? 15 year olds marching with 38 year olds and older.
I know this is for DCA to decide but should they do background checks on any members over 21? Ive heard there is 1 corps that does.

I can tell you for a fact that Kidsgrove Scouts has DBS checks (British equivalent of a criminal background check) for ALL members, volunteers and staff over the age of 18, as do all British drum corps. I believe it to be the Continent as well...

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the corps as a whole was not asked to leave. In fact, there has been nothing drum corps at that facility since...show, rehearsal, spring training...because the college president found out about it. 

Much as I like dc bravo to the president for doing his job (and protecting those alumni dollars)

2 hours ago, BigW said:

There was a 1% no opinion. :whistle:

Reminds me of the days of elections in the old Soviet Union.  "Brezhnev received 99 percent of the ballots cast..."

I always wondered in which gulag did the one percent end up. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll start with #2. yes, I spoke with people that had a voice in the room. And an issue like this would have been brought to the body at large as I understand it. So in essence, to also answer #1, this kind of issue wouldn't have just lagged with the executive board, but the board at large with all voting members. Why to the full board? because it would have a potential impact on the activity at large as we have seen since April.

This matches exactly what I've been told by two different people who would have been "in the room".

The board never told Acheson to do nothing because this was never officially brought up at a board meeting.  

Acheson had a duty above and beyond his duties as  employee / ED.  I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp.   Many "insiders" (including Acheson) knew about multiple occurrences of abuse.  They were common knowledge among long time corps directors (a position also Acheson held). They did not act.  They did not ask the board to act.  And they probably failed to act as child protection laws require them to act (although might vary state to state).  

If after bringing this to board's attention, the board explicitly told Acheson  "don't do anything",  he had a moral (and likely legal duty ) to report (and logically to resign -- who would want to work for a company to deliberately hides this stuff?) 

It's not just Acheson.  But as the leader of DCI,  he has perhaps the most visible liability.  He's speaking for the organization. 

Edited by karuna

15 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Reminds me of the days of elections in the old Soviet Union.  "Brezhnev received 99 percent of the ballots cast..."

I always wondered in which gulag did the one percent end up. :tongue:

One of my favorite MASH (tv version) PA announcements: Syngman Rhee has been re-elected dictator of South Korea.

Having a Korean War vet father no way that tv was going to be on another channel during MASH time. “Kimpo  Air Field #### we (Army Corps of Engineers) build that thing”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll stick by what I said so no one is outed by junior sleuths. and I'll trust every one of them as they have yet to lead me astray. We all appreciate you questioning our integrity

PM'd

Edited by garfield

4 hours ago, karuna said:

This matches exactly what I've been told by two different people who would have been "in the room".

The board never told Acheson to do nothing because this was never officially brought up at a board meeting.  

Acheson had a duty above and beyond his duties as  employee / ED.  I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp.   Many "insiders" (including Acheson) knew about multiple occurrences of abuse.  They were common knowledge among long time corps directors (a position also Acheson held). They did not act.  They did not ask the board to act.  And they probably failed to act as child protection laws require them to act (although might vary state to state).  

If after bringing this to board's attention, the board explicitly told Acheson  "don't do anything",  he had a moral (and likely legal duty ) to report (and logically to resign -- who would want to work for a company to deliberately hides this stuff?) 

It's not just Acheson.  But as the leader of DCI,  he has perhaps the most visible liability.  He's speaking for the organization. 

I’ve said all I need to say on this unless new information comes out. I don’t need more threatening messages

• Like 2