A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

As a FSAS, FSCVMM and the parent of a kid who is going to audition to hopefully participate in his 6th season of DCI competition and 4th in the SCV organization, I’m really tired of this GD ####### ########. I’m tired of getting texts from my kid that say, “Hey Dad, our show went great last night. In other news, since I’m 18 now I can’t sit with other minors on the bus.” JHC on a stick!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Just burn the whole thing to the ground. What a supreme embarrassment and outrage. DCI in general, and Dan specifically, fails to take action unless forced to, time after time. 

Dan is not speaking without legal counsel I'm sure. And if I recall, the lawyer helping DCi with this was high up in the Dept of Education. Now this doesn't make the statement wise from a PR point of view, but legally it's probably wise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

This is a wild guess at what’s going to happen... but this will ultimately take down DCI. Dan will be gone, major sponsors will be forced to leave the activity, and there will be some major reshuffling, and another sanctioning body such as USA Bands will step in the save the season. Yes, it’s far fetched, but in my mind this is the most extreme of what could happen. At the very least, Dan Acheson does not survive this, and a coupe oiff well known corps will get probation or forced to take a year off. Just guesses.

if it was new, it would have gotten out by now, probably on Reddit. A DCA staffer was just arrested this week and hasn't been touched on here ( and it had nothing to do with actions at the corps). Kids are well aware of this, and it would have gotten out. Remember, the Pioneer stuff was on Reddit weeks before DCI made any kind of formal statement.

Odds are it's old, and before DCi had the current rules in place. Will it hurt? oh hell yeah. But the past can't be changed. And unless they have documentation showing DCI was legally liable in some way, it's not going to kill DCI.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

DCI put the Cadets on Probation last winter, until an internal audit of their financials, as well as an internal audit of the Corps policies and procedures, reporting mechanisms to safeguard its current and future members took place.. Presumably that internal audit by DCI HQ and their hired firm has been completed by now. But if we recall, this was to have been completed by the end of this summer, and DCI HQ was to make an announcement " by September " their press release stated back then if the Cadets probation status would be either lifted, or extended, or something else. But no word yet ( as far as I know ) on the Cadets status from DCI HQ, and so they are behind schedule it appears on that deadline. Not sure what has caused the timeline delay here. Maybe others are more privy to why that September deadline has come and passed, with no official word from DCI HQ on the Cadets probationary status. That needs to be cleared up, and quickly for all concerned here ( Cadets included ), as prospective auditioneers/ parents are making 2019 season plans now.

there was a release where they said it was held up as new credible allegations against the former administration had been brought forward

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s a good question.  I have no idea either.

if it's like most band circuits, BOA is the sanctioning circuit, and provides the judges for the events, maybe even hosting the actual event. the bands are members that participate in the shows. Kinda like what DCI is/was. In the circuit in which I administrate, the bands vote on rules and bylaws governing competition, the circuit provides the judges in accordance with our judging association and host the championships and work with regular season show hosts

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Attack? Its called reporting. The report seems certain to be about a youth activity knowingly allowing sexual predators to participate. I'd call that necessary attention, not an attack. 

attack was a poor wording choice, I apologize. I'll say coordinated effort instead.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if it's like most band circuits, BOA is the sanctioning circuit, and provides the judges for the events, maybe even hosting the actual event. the bands are members that participate in the shows. Kinda like what DCI is/was. In the circuit in which I administrate, the bands vote on rules and bylaws governing competition, the circuit provides the judges in accordance with our judging association and host the championships and work with regular season show hosts

I think BOA and the bands are even less involved together than that. It is less a "circuit", a la TOB and USBands, than  a series of regional champs and a national champ. I don't recall that there are member bands in BOA, in the sense of the other circuits, that get to vote on rules. I could be wrong in how it works today though...it has been a while.

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'd say DCI asked the journalist to sit on the story for a day or two so they could get a letter out with Dan' name on it.  A little late for me, too much cya, and not telling us why other incidents they new about were not handled sooner.

DCI refuses to talk to the reporters.

3 hours ago, TRacer said:

As a FSAS, FSCVMM and the parent of a kid who is going to audition to hopefully participate in his 6th season of DCI competition and 4th in the SCV organization, I’m really tired of this GD ####### ########. I’m tired of getting texts from my kid that say, “Hey Dad, our show went great last night. In other news, since I’m 18 now I can’t sit with other minors on the bus.” JHC on a stick!! 

Really, there's SO MUCH SPECULATION in this thread...

You need to ignore it and just wait for facts. Your kid may have marched his last year already.  

And calm yourself. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if it was new, it would have gotten out by now, probably on Reddit. A DCA staffer was just arrested this week and hasn't been touched on here ( and it had nothing to do with actions at the corps). Kids are well aware of this, and it would have gotten out. Remember, the Pioneer stuff was on Reddit weeks before DCI made any kind of formal statement.

Odds are it's old, and before DCi had the current rules in place. Will it hurt? oh hell yeah. But the past can't be changed. And unless they have documentation showing DCI was legally liable in some way, it's not going to kill DCI.

I don't know how many times it needs reminding (as you did here) that DCI is/was insulated by the very fact that their structure did/does not make them specifically liable beyond their own office staff.  The irony is that it is its insular structure that might save the org and the activity for those who remain.

Edited by garfield