A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We knew it was coming.  It’s just coming later than expected.  

I wonder if it’s the Philadelphia Enquirer or another news outlet?  

there's been rumors floating since Atlanta weekend. We'll see

• Like 1

In my opinion, Dan Acheson's statement is well prepared and sincerely delivered. However, he may be speaking too soon. Yes, the issues he mentioned have been addressed by DCI, but it is going to take a few seasons to know whether the measures taken are effective. I don't think they will need major revisions, but there will be kinks along the way, some measures may need to be tightened, and other issues may come to light. 

My concern is that Dan Acheson, in his desire to get ahead of the story, may find himself blind sighted. You only get in front of the story when you know what the story will be. You can inform people a story will be released, but when you don't know the specifics, you may say what you have done in the past to address what you assume will be similar issues, but you have to be careful not to make it sound as if whatever is exposed has already been addressed. If it turns out that the issued that are exposed are the ones we have speculated about, he can say the issues have been addressed, but if it is a different shoe that drops, he could find himself with egg on his face, and this could very well be the case.

This story, whatever it happens to be, may catch all of us off guard. We forget that news stories need to grab the attention of a wide audience. In light of what has happened in the entertainment world, the business world, in sports, with religious groups, and schools, I'm not sure the stories we have speculated about over the past few months will have traction with readers with the exception of drum corps fans unless criminal charges can be filed. Many of us have heard names bantered about. In at least one case people have not been willing to come forward. In other cases, the names are of people who are dead. In these days of midterm elections, pipe bombs being sent to political leaders, and the aftermath of a tragic synagogue shooting, I'm not sure these stories will get traction as an expose alone. Criminal charges changes everything. 

• Like 1

That was ill-advised of DCI.  

Nadolny's not trying to bring down our activity.  She's putting sunlight on it, which is her job (similar to what she did with her award-winning IKEA story to curb the death of small children).  She knows what she's doing.  Acheson apparently does not.  This won't end well if he's going to fire shots at someone who has been researching and likely knows where many of the bodies are buried.

• Like 4

my hunch is it's older news and Dan is trying to CYA since the code of conduct wasn't in place then

Why won't Dan talk to her? Hmm. His statement does seem overly premature. Why? Hmm.

Given the various scandals of this past season, as well as the scandals that are apparently about to come to light, I can think of no legitimate reason for Atcheson not to speak to the reporter.

• Like 2

Criminal records? DCI has a background check policy.

Inappropriate relationships? DCI prohibits them.

Not adhering to the Code of Conduct for hiring practices or any other violation? DCI can prohibit participation. And we have.

Anything coming from the CEO's mouth or keyboard should be about preventative measures that are being developed for use in the future. 

Your background check policy sucks. 

Your monitoring of how well DCI staff follow procedures outlined in your code of conduct sucks.

Fix it.  Talk about how you're fixing it.  Be precise.  Otherwise, just shut up.   

Edited by Lance
  • Like 3