A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

is it Tricia's article though? There were USA Today rumors swirling in August

https://twitter.com/Jaccii/status/1057696103200681984

This is much larger than one news organization. Several outlets  are researching drum corps information. It's likely there will be a series of stories to follow once everything is vetted.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Tough talk but yeah , agree... wonder if DCI had the idea that writing the paperwork was the hard part and things would be cool from then on.

Let’s not forget Pioneer blew the hot line idea to hades with the “what goes on in the corps, stays with the corps” the very first summer of the new procedures

Yeah, I can be harsh.

Getting in front of an article like this is smart, but not with excuses for the terrible behaviors that are the subject of the article.  

Her last article was deeply sourced.  I'd wager this one will be, too. 

The whistleblower form is fine, but it's not preventative.  Especially given that they had a corps director this last year who threatened marchers if they used it.

What are the things that DCI will do as a governing org to prevent the very real problems that these reports have brought to light?  Anything else is a waste of time, and reeks of victim blaming.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexL said:

I get that. I've been told USAT by more than a few people who would know, and that was the August rumor...and again today

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

Yeah, I can be harsh.

Getting in front of an article like this is smart, but not with excuses for the terrible behaviors that are the subject of the article.  

Her last article was deeply sourced.  I'd wager this one will be, too. 

The whistleblower form is fine, but it's not preventative.  Especially given that they had a corps director this last year who threatened marchers if they used it.

What are the things that DCI will do as a governing org to prevent the very real problems that these reports have brought to light?  Anything else is a waste of time, and reeks of victim blaming.  

the bottom line is DCI needs to totally overhaul things. While it doesnt want to be the NCAA, and Lord knows they have ####ed stuff up big time, DCI may want to walk across town and ask some questions

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm not saying Dan's approach was wise. it ranks up there with most DCA decisions. But the USA Today rumor has some inklings of truth from some digging I have done. 

You may be right. From what I was able to pull together was coming from some inquiries to DCI pre DCI east (remember when Cavies and SCV suddenly closed rehearsals). DCI conflated the requests and what had ben additional Jaccii followup turned into the USA TODAY article that never materialized. Now both Jaccii and Tricia are gearing up.

Imagine yourself in Dan Acheson's shoes in this scenario: One or more reporters has reached out to you asking for an interview about allegations against some person or persons involved in DCI or a member corps, but s/he won't say prior to the interview who the allegations concern. You, Acheson, are aware of some allegations that have not been made public, but you don't know if these are the same allegations that the reporter(s) are now bringing to you. The allegations that you're aware of all concern people no longer involved with DCI. Maybe you didn't even know about them at the time. Or maybe you heard about them but had no authority then to do anything about them. (Nor could you ever have said anything publicly before without risking a libel suit from the supposed violator.) Is s/he going to ask you about those? You know what to say about those. You've talked to DCI's lawyers about what you knew and how DCI would not ever let those people work in corps under its auspices again. Or is s/he going to blindside you with new allegations about currently active figures in DCI? You don't know. So you stall to try to find out via other channels whom the interview might concern. However, fearful that the press will run with the story without interviewing you, you also try to assure the public that DCI, ever since learning about the Cadets in April, is doing everything in its power to keep corps safe.

Is that the right approach or the wrong approach? I dunno.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Tough talk but yeah , agree... wonder if DCI had the idea that writing the paperwork was the hard part and things would be cool from then on.

Let’s not forget Pioneer blew the hot line idea to hades with the “what goes on in the corps, stays with the corps” the very first summer of the new procedures

...but that is what the CORPS did, not DCI.  DCI handled the situation (albeit somewhat late).  It seems as thought people are asking DCI to behave like the NFL, yet in reality it feels more like the Yacht Club that can kick you out if your local groups breaks club rules.  The "community" needs to decide what DCI's role truly is and then accept it as such.  The "DCI can't tell us to do xxxx because it's our corps" followed by "It's DCI's fault we have predators on staff" is like talking out both sides of one's mouth.  Whatever needs to be done should be done with the safety of the youth involved in the organization.    

17 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

You may be right. From what I was able to pull together was coming from some inquiries to DCI pre DCI east (remember when Cavies and SCV suddenly closed rehearsals). DCI conflated the requests and what had ben additional Jaccii followup turned into the USA TODAY article that never materialized. Now both Jaccii and Tricia are gearing up.

they aren't alone. I understand the logic behind Dan's statement....but I see where if it's as bad as well expect, his statement is only going to make it worse. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Imagine yourself in Dan Acheson's shoes in this scenario: One or more reporters has reached out to you asking for an interview about allegations against some person or persons involved in DCI or a member corps, but s/he won't say prior to the interview who the allegations concern. You, Acheson, are aware of some allegations that have not been made public, but you don't know if these are the same allegations that the reporter(s) are now bringing to you. The allegations that you're aware of all concern people no longer involved with DCI. Maybe you didn't even know about them at the time. Or maybe you heard about them but had no authority then to do anything about them. (Nor could you ever have said anything publicly before without risking a libel suit from the supposed violator.) Is s/he going to ask you about those? You know what to say about those. You've talked to DCI's lawyers about what you knew and how DCI would not ever let those people work in corps under its auspices again. Or is s/he going to blindside you with new allegations about currently active figures in DCI? You don't know. So you stall to try to find out via other channels whom the interview might concern. However, fearful that the press will run with the story without interviewing you, you also try to assure the public that DCI, ever since learning about the Cadets in April, is doing everything in its power to keep corps safe.

Is that the right approach or the wrong approach? I dunno.

but...here's the key....were some of them active after the code of conduct came out and before the season ended? If so, well, yeah, not gonna look good. 

When everything first broke in April, one corps asked all staff, admin volunteers, you name it to fess up now, because if exposed later, it's not going to end well. 

And given what we've learned about Pioneer and the fact Roman's name is still all over everything, IS DCI doing everything it can?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1