A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You first.  Morgan Larson was never working with Colt Cadets in any capacity.

He was in open class shows with Colts Cadets.  Nowhere did anyone say he was working with Colts Cadets.

He was in several open class shows in his three seasons in Kilties. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Larson? Very easy. he and the Board were made aware of the fact he was working with Colt Cadets marching with Kilties (edited for accuracy), and had been arrested for incidents with kids. Remember, Dan made the call aboutthe Pioneer guy last year, before the rules were in place, and Roman complied by firing him ( one of the few things Roman did right). Did Dan do that? No, the guy hung around...and apparently was seen with a Soundsport group. Soundsport has to adhere to DCi rules do they not? So you can say powerless, yet he had the EXACT SAME POWERS LAST YEAR WHEN THE PIONEER GUY WAS BROUGHT TO LIGHT. Ergo, Dan COULD...and SHOULD...have done something in 2012.

Atchison? The guy frigging made USA Today. It was hardly a secret anywhere in the activity and had been mentioned here years ago before he landed at Cadets. And in the same calendar year Dan forced Roman to fire the Pioneer guy, he allowed YEA to keep Scott on staff all summer. 

So...while I agree Dan isn't the fall guy for every sin in the activity, as he more than likely had no hard proof, here's two very public issues that i know were brought to his attention that he did nothing about, yet he did something about the Pioneer guy....all while "powerless".

Yes, he powerlessly recommended that Blenski dismiss the guy.  But do we know that Acheson never made any similar recommendations about Morgan Larson or Scott Atchison?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

You first.  Morgan Larson was never working with Colt Cadets in any capacity.

My bad. As a member of the Kilties m, a dci affiliate member, and with a well known public record of arrest for indecent actions with minors, he appeared in shows with corps like the Colt Cadets who were primarily minors. And Dan and Scott Stewart were informed. This in fact as it came back out helped chase Stewart off of Pioneers board.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

He was in open class shows with Colts. Cadets.  Nowhere did anyone say he was working with Colts Cadets.

He was in several open class shows in his three seasons in Kilties. 

And with Midwest Connection this past season..... after the rule went into effect

Edited by Jeff Ream

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, he powerlessly recommended that Blenski dismiss the guy.  But do we know that Acheson never made any similar recommendations about Morgan Larson or Scott Atchison?

Given that Dan is one of a very few voices of reason and sanity, I’d imagine even Hop would have listened. And DCA knew aboutLarson too

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

As of 2018, he has new power by having a DCI Community Code of Conduct and Ethics Guidelines to enforce.  The guidelines are woefully vague (maybe intentionally so), but it appears that for now, the DCI executive director has wide latitude in determining what "punishment" fits the "crime" when a corps runs afoul of the guidelines. 

Ok so in my mind the “new” power is now this is written down and guessing approved by the BoD.  My understanding is DCI could suspend (only real power they have) corps from being in DCI events before 2018. But now it’s written down (spelled out) and approved so carries more weight legally.

To clarify I read “new power” as something DCI could do in addition to suspendind corps from participating in DCI. Not the case here 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Fine. I’ll lower the charge to gross negligence. I’m sure discovery will show emails, etc., that he knew all along and didn’t do anything. 

You are aware that a rumor does not become credible just because it is typed into an email, right?

Of course, email records might instead show that rumors were investigated, and DCI could not obtain sufficient corroborating evidence.  But you have already made up your mind, so just ignore that.

If DCI can impose themselves when a corps can’t feed their MM’s, then they definitely should’ve when they heard rumors or direct info of sexual misconduct. 

You can respond to the former by merely bringing some food, while the latter necessitates filing felony charges.  Those are not the same thing.

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You can respond to the former by merely bringing some food, while the latter necessitates filing felony charges.  Those are not the same thing.

And lot easier to investigate no food and unsafe transportation as pretty much out in the open. One on one sexual harassment or assault takes a while to check

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok so in my mind the “new” power is now this is written down and guessing approved by the BoD.  My understanding is DCI could suspend (only real power they have) corps from being in DCI events before 2018. But now it’s written down (spelled out) and approved so carries more weight legally.

iow DCI could suspend corps before and can suspend them after the new policy. To me that’s the same power

The guidelines ban two particular behaviors, and list many others that would "deny or limit" an offender from participating in DCI activities.  Prior to 2018, DCI did not even have that spelled out.

You are right about the "power" being the same.  What changed is that it can be used in more situations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Given that Dan is one of a very few voices of reason and sanity, I’d imagine even Hop would have listened. And DCA knew aboutLarson too

Hop did get an email in 2012 and he responded.  He said that YEA does background checks, which was true because Jim was background checked both times he drove for The Cadets on tour. 

He was the only person who responded. 

Edited by Terri Schehr