A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Some here think that current societal norms can be applied to history.  They can't.

Ah... it depends on how much has changed, doesn't it? What is the current societal norm? What was it in the 1980s, 1990s, etc.? What were instructors getting fired for then?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, garfield said:

The 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, 2012...2018...

I'm just wondering, Jeff, which 2025 or 2030 mores and societal norms do you think Dan Acheson should adhere to today?

Game, set, and match?  Ha!  I know you think a lot of your answer here, Mr. McEnroe, but your last shot was on outside the line (thank you cixelsyd), I'm one up in sets, the match isn't over, and you need to either pick up your racket or concede defeat.

Some here think that current societal norms can be applied to history.  They can't.

EDIT: Drops mic, walks out

snark

I'm sorry Dan, i didn't realize in 2012 it was ok to have a member in one of your affiliate member corps with a conviction and a registered sex offender to be around kids in corps. ( I did correct myself on Lawsons position and which corps he was affialted with. cixelsyd even liked my correction).  Can you please tell me what year that started being ok? Just want to know since, well, ya know, the law had the guy registered as a sex offender. That means every corps he would have appeared with that had minors needed to be made aware of this. You know...the law. 

and yes, game set and match. Snark this

Edited by Jeff Ream

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So when did society start deciding that predictors should not be around minors? Oh yeah I remember in the mid 90s filling out background check paperwork for my church. Reason was church started being proactive about child protection. And at the time churches were usually behind the curve on enacting child protection measures. 

the sex offender registry was started with the Jacob/Wetterling Act in 1994. and enhancements were made by Congress in a series of bills from 1996-2003. in 2006 Congress passed the sex offender Registration and Notification Act, aka SORNA. Since 2006, other bills have added to SORNA's provisions.

in 2012, Dan was notified that a registered sex offender was a member of an affiliate corps, performing at shows with dozens if not hundreds of minors. And this past summer, that same person was seen with MidWest Connection, a SoundSport group. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm sorry Dan, i didn't realize in 2012 it was ok to have a member in one of your affiliate member corps with a conviction and a registered sex offender to be around kids in corps. <snip>

(I presume you're being sarcastic here)

So, if I understand, WHAT specifically did you want Dan to do in 2012?  The same that he did with Pio in 2018?

(And you never answered my question about the corps directors - did they respond to you?)

Can you please tell me what year that started being ok? Just want to know since, well, ya know, the law had the guy registered as a sex offender. That means every corps he would have appeared with that had minors needed to be made aware of this. You know...the law. 

and yes, game set and match. Snark this  EASY!

This is where you veer off, so stay with this.  NOBODY, not me, not you, not Brasso, not MusicManNJ, not Dan A, nor ANYBODY is suggesting that sex offenders are OK!  Stay with the issue, please.  The issue is WHAT did you want Dan to do to the corps that were embroiled then? 

And I encourage you to put yourself in Dan's shoes at that time, and in the structure that was 2012 and what Dan's bosses tasked him to do.  Don't just fly off with "Well, it SHOULD have been...!" such and such.  What power did Dan have then to act as you expected him to?

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ah... it depends on how much has changed, doesn't it? What is the current societal norm? What was it in the 1980s, 1990s, etc.? What were instructors getting fired for then?

Well statuatory rape has been on the books for decades. What has changed imo is now schools etc have a way to check if someone is a predator. And back then people would actual believe that “he’s over that now”.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is where you veer off, so stay with this.  NOBODY, not me, not you, not Brasso, not MusicManNJ, nor ANYBODY is suggesting that sex offenders are OK!  Stay with the issue, please.  The issue is WHAT did you want Dan to do to the corps that were embroiled then? 

And I encourage you to put yourself in Dan's shoes at that time, and in the structure that was 2012 and what Dan's bosses tasked him to do.  Don't just fly off with "Well, it SHOULD have been...!" such and such.  What power did Dan have then to act as you expected him to?

So if anyone at any time in DCI knew there was a potential predator they should have kept their mouths shut? “Can’t do anything about it so just forget about it”. Puuuuuuke Thanks for warning/protecting the members DCI gives so much of a crap about. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

the sex offender registry was started with the Jacob/Wetterling Act in 1994. and enhancements were made by Congress in a series of bills from 1996-2003. in 2006 Congress passed the sex offender Registration and Notification Act, aka SORNA. Since 2006, other bills have added to SORNA's provisions.

in 2012, Dan was notified that a registered sex offender was a member of an affiliate corps, performing at shows with dozens if not hundreds of minors. And this past summer, that same person was seen with MidWest Connection, a SoundSport group. 

So, these are both facts.  Fine.  Dan was notified.  What do you wish he did and who were the people who put the policies in place that Dan followed in his response he actually gave?

Have you ever been to a harness race?  Dan's leg harness have been cinched tight by his board for decades.  In fact, since only 2018 has he been able to stretch his legs and, when it comes to DCI member organizations, like Pioneer and Crossmen and Cadets, he seems to have gotten favorable response.  Maybe coincidence, maybe not.