A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

1 minute ago, garfield said:

None of that horror is in question, Jeff, so stop connoting that I don't agree with you.  The issue is DAN'S POWER.

You said Dan should have, what, FORCED, the corps to kick him out?

With what I've shared of how Dan's edicts have been ignored for decades because the corps' leadership demanded control of their own futures, was Dan supposed to unilaterally act independently from his Board?  The Board has full power to fire him if he does anything outside of their instructions to him.  He was charged with running the tour.  Decisions about who was allowed to play at shows were not developed by Dan, did he have the power to exclude a corps, even for this cause?

Why are you not getting this?

Dan could have presented this information to the board and said " we need to do something about this to stop this issue as well as prevent other issues that could surface". DFTK stuff was more and more common on social media at that point sadly, and they had to see the freight train coming.

Then, if the Board said no, hey props to Dan, he tried, it falls back  on them. But, well, he didn't.

See I DO GET IT. What you refuse to get is he should have gone to the board with this information to stamp it out right then and there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

What if he did EXACTLY that and, instead of sitting by silently, they instructed Dan to notify the corps of the information in case they aren't aware, then let the director make the next decision and take the next step?

With how closely tied to the G7 information you were, I'm surprised that you ignore how neutered Dan was by the voting directors.  

as much as I criticize DCI's Board, I cannot for the life of me imagine them ignoring him on this. And after few calls and emails, I feel pretty confident this was not presented to them at all.

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Everyone, every time, should absolutely speak up if they suspect abuse of ANY kind!  Nobody is suggesting anything different.  The question still is: Was Dan invested by his board with the power to take action against an organization that allowed a sex offender to march in its ranks?  IN 2012?

So if DA did know about predators in a corps what did he do?

And with a predator in a youth group you do NOT wait until there is suspected abuse to act. Too late then

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well, you're defending Dan's inaction in 2012 when presented with the fact that a DCi affiliate corps had a published sex offender in their ranks performing at their shows, with tons of underage kids also there. So to say anything more than Dan should have done something is to condone his inaction. 

And had I been in Dans shoes, and this had been presented to me, I would have convened an emergency board session, discussed the facts that were presented to me, possibly with legal counsel attending to advise on what DCI should have done, which is to prevent a registered felon from being around minors at anything with DCi stamped on it in any kind of way related to teaching and performing, or, well, the corps can't perform if he's there.

I'm defending Dan's actions according to his job description and supervision structure.

So, you would convene a meeting with the sole intent to pre-convict the sex offender in DCI and keep him from ever taking part.  Fine.  You're an employee and your BoD says "The Hell You Will!  You'll wait for us to decide and we'll tell you what's next."

What do you do?

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Dan could have presented this information to the board and said " we need to do something about this to stop this issue as well as prevent other issues that could surface". DFTK stuff was more and more common on social media at that point sadly, and they had to see the freight train coming.

Then, if the Board said no, hey props to Dan, he tried, it falls back  on them. But, well, he didn't.

See I DO GET IT. What you refuse to get is he should have gone to the board with this information to stamp it out right then and there.

Wait.  You have proof of this?  You know he didn't address his BoD for direction?

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Do you have evidence that he didn't?

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

as much as I criticize DCI's Board, I cannot for the life of me imagine them ignoring him on this. And after few calls and emails, I feel pretty confident this was not presented to them at all.

Then you need to keep calling.  You have NO PROOF or validation for you claim that Dan A just sat on this info and did nothing.  I have PLENTY of evidence - all I need - to back up my contention that, in fact, Dan's office was frequently squelched and the corps directors were adamant to strip him of power, not grant him rights to usurp the corps' directors themselves.

Further, you've already said that this was a known incident.  Did Dan call the corps?  Was he told that they were already aware?  What was he compelled to tell the director?

Sorry, but "I cannot imagine" is not a basis on which you destroy a man's life and career.  Particularly with perfect hindsight.

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So if DA did know about predators in a corps what did he do?

And with a predator in a youth group you do NOT wait until there is suspected abuse to act. Too late then

Your first question is exactly the point, and even if he DID know this open secret about this offender, WHAT was he instructed/directed/allowed to do about it?

THIS IS A CO-OP, NOT A CORPORATION

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And the point you responded to was What if they specifically instructed him to leave it up to the corps director?

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Your first question is exactly the point, and even if he DID know this open secret about this offender, WHAT was he instructed/directed/allowed to do about it?

THIS IS A CO-OP, NOT A CORPORATION

So the head of a youth activity might know about predators in one or more group but he’s not allowed to do or say anything to protect said youths? If that is truly DCIs defense in not even opening their mouths to protect the kids well... you just moved me into the burn it to the ground and start over again camp.

seriuosly DA didn’t have the ability to bring it up at a meeting without the board saying it’s ok to talk about it?

phrase “just following orders” comes to mind....

Edited by JimF-LowBari