A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they aren't alone. I understand the logic behind Dan's statement....but I see where if it's as bad as well expect, his statement is only going to make it worse. 

I would expect by now they would not be. I too understand his logic. However, going after the reporter only to have the reporter issue a rebuttal... not good. I will only say this once on this thread... I really wish DCI would stop keeping its own consul on PR and get some help to navigate this like YEA has done. Just bad internal advice on this since May. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

She'll likely have... multiple sources. They seem to be researching this pretty exhaustively.

I have faith in these reporters' abilities. I'm just putting some caveats forward in advance that I hope the stories will cover.

Just burn the whole thing to the ground. What a supreme embarrassment and outrage. DCI in general, and Dan specifically, fails to take action unless forced to, time after time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'd say DCI asked the journalist to sit on the story for a day or two so they could get a letter out with Dan' name on it.  A little late for me, too much cya, and not telling us why other incidents they new about were not handled sooner.

A story like this they’re not going to sit on. I’m guessing they have DCI ring, asked for them to comment and let them know they had so much time to respond before they were going to publish. That’s generally how these things work.  In th mean time Tricia (I believe that’s who it is that is publishing this story) is buttoning up her story and making revisions. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Just burn the whole thing to the ground. What a supreme embarrassment and outrage. DCI in general, and Dan specifically, fails to take action unless forced to, time after time. 

Doesn't he report to a board? Is he letting them down or are they letting him down?

(I don't know the answer, but I'd like to.)

This is a wild guess at what’s going to happen... but this will ultimately take down DCI. Dan will be gone, major sponsors will be forced to leave the activity, and there will be some major reshuffling, and another sanctioning body such as USA Bands will step in the save the season. Yes, it’s far fetched, but in my mind this is the most extreme of what could happen. At the very least, Dan Acheson does not survive this, and a coupe of well known corps will get probation or forced to take a year off. Just guesses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Yeah, I can be harsh.

I work for Dept of Defense so used to getting results is the important thing. And if speaking plainly gets it done so be it. And speaking to make a crappy situation look good... nope

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newseditor44 said:

This is a wild guess at what’s going to happen... but this will ultimately take down DCI. Dan will be gone, major sponsors will be forced to leave the activity, and there will be some major reshuffling, and another sanctioning body such as USA Bands will step in the save the season. Yes, it’s far fetched, but in my mind this is the most extreme of what could happen. At the very least, Dan Acheson does not survive this, and a coupe of well known corps will get probation or forced to take a year off. Just guesses.

Is this based on any knowledge of what is in the actual story?

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

...but that is what the CORPS did, not DCI.  DCI handled the situation (albeit somewhat late).  It seems as thought people are asking DCI to behave like the NFL, yet in reality it feels more like the Yacht Club that can kick you out if your local groups breaks club rules.  The "community" needs to decide what DCI's role truly is and then accept it as such.  The "DCI can't tell us to do xxxx because it's our corps" followed by "It's DCI's fault we have predators on staff" is like talking out both sides of one's mouth.  Whatever needs to be done should be done with the safety of the youth involved in the organization.    

Well if DCI can't keep the corps staff or whoever from doing idiotic stuff then DCI should quit pretending that new policies and a web based hot line will correct things. Gotta be one or the other and DCIs only scary power is not letting corps play in their pool like Pioneer. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari