A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Someone posted the PA site which was interesting. Noticed it had when a suspension was given and when it was over. IOW it didn't clear out the suspension info after it was served.

It may depend on what the suspension was for, Jim. I'm uncertain as to what grounds a PA teaching permit would be suspended and then later reinstated. When it involves things of a sexual nature, I'd think (and HOPE) it's a permanent revocation. Did it say under what terms the suspension was put on the individual?

1 hour ago, BigW said:

It may depend on what the suspension was for, Jim. I'm uncertain as to what grounds a PA teaching permit would be suspended and then later reinstated. When it involves things of a sexual nature, I'd think (and HOPE) it's a permanent revocation. Did it say under what terms the suspension was put on the individual?

Don't remember details. Just saw a name listed twice so I hit the links to check.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

My guess would be that there are two categories: suspension and not renewed. “Not renewed” if licenses can expire, would probably mean a person no longer meets the requirements, did not participate in continuing education, perhaps poor job performance, which given the strength of many teachers’ unions, would probably mean extreme incompetence. Since a teacher would have to provide proof of being certified or having a license when hired or reviewed, this information need not be published on a website. A license being suspended or revoked if listed on a website would most likely be for a matter that involves law enforcement since disclosing issues such as insubordination, being unprepared for classes, or other unprofessional conduct would be considered performance issue and teachers would be protected from having such information disclosed under labor laws, and may result in a license not being renewed, but not suspended. Most likely reasons for a suspension would be sexual misconduct, providing drugs/alcohol to minors, DUI, criminal activity outside of school which may or may not involve students or drunk driving. 

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Browsing through the PA list...interesting that some were charged/convicted in other states. I guess they held PA licenses as well, and those were revoked based on the out-of-state conviction. There are just over 2000 records in the current PA system.

One guy was convicted in Canada of a sex-based crime based on activities that happened in the mid-70's, was Superintendent in a NJ School District as his last position, yet held administrative certificates in PA that he surrendered just last month. He sure did get around!

Edit...ends up the guy noted above was from NJ and was a music teacher in Nova Scotia in the 70's when the incident happened.

Edited by MikeD