Project 2021: Reimagining tour

On 11/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, DFA1970 said:

I would like to see DCI at least for one year back in Cali. We have Levi stadium and the new Rams in LA. Great weather and open air finals. 

then the West Coast needs to pony up the kind of financial incentives DCI gets staying in Indy. the bottom line is the corps agreed to this, because as the recurring tour model has been going since 2008, this makes the corps money and keeps expenses down. Sure, the Rose bowl drew a bigger paid crowd than DCI has had in Indy ( mainly cuase LOS only has so many concert side seats), but the expenses had to offset the profit based on roughly 2000 extra tickets sold. 

On 11/3/2018 at 5:03 AM, wolfgang said:

Strong opinion #1: Please don't insult our intelligence about costs of travel UNLESS you have a good answer why Pacific Crest, Mandarins, BD, Vanguard, The Academy, Oregon Crusaders, and Cascades are somehow able to head east every year and the midwest/eastern World Class corps couldn't do the same the other direction.

What do all those corps do in between regionals? Drum corps live (partially) on performance fees and will typically perform 3-4 times per week between regionals. The west doesn't have enough performance opportunities to support a full tour. In California we don't even have a enough shows to keep the handful of corps we DO see busy on weeknights. And what happens to those early/mid season shows in the east/midwest that will have no lineup?

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

then the West Coast needs to pony up the kind of financial incentives DCI gets staying in Indy. the bottom line is the corps agreed to this, because as the recurring tour model has been going since 2008, this makes the corps money and keeps expenses down. Sure, the Rose bowl drew a bigger paid crowd than DCI has had in Indy ( mainly cuase LOS only has so many concert side seats), but the expenses had to offset the profit based on roughly 2000 extra tickets sold. 

Does anyone know if DCI solicited for a permanent location through a traditional means (ie. RFP)? I agree, the financial incentive would need to be there for DCI to move anywhere ever, but I can't imagine Indy somehow 'won' in a bidding contest. From Indy's higher-than-average August hotel rates, low total hotel room inventory, and low volume of direct flights from major airports, I just can't imagine other destinations ever got a chance to even make a case for why DCI should come to X City instead.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Explain what you mean "West Coast" needs to pony up. West coast is just what it is....a coast. It's not a corporation...just a location on a MAP!!!!!

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Explain what you mean "West Coast" needs to pony up. West coast is just what it is....a coast. It's not a corporation...just a location on a MAP!!!!!

He's saying that if a West Coast city wants DCI to come there, especially for Finals, then that city needs to provide a financial incentive for DCI to do so.

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

Does anyone know if DCI solicited for a permanent location through a traditional means (ie. RFP)? I agree, the financial incentive would need to be there for DCI to move anywhere ever, but I can't imagine Indy somehow 'won' in a bidding contest. From Indy's higher-than-average August hotel rates, low total hotel room inventory, and low volume of direct flights from major airports, I just can't imagine other destinations ever got a chance to even make a case for why DCI should come to X City instead.

Indy did win. That's why they moved out of Illinois. as a resident business, they get enticements

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Indy did win. That's why they moved out of Illinois. as a resident business, they get enticements

So it was a traditional bidding process? And the main crux was the benefits for DCI to move business operations there v. the benefit of hosting the Finals week there?

Edit: I'm asking if Indy won some sort of bid as a permanent Finals week host, not about business HQ relocation incentives. If the entire reason DCI Finals are permanently in Indy is because DCI HQ is in Indy, I can understand that (though I don't agree with it, at least I can understand it). 

Edited by ouooga

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Recurring Tour Model is a euphemism meaning 'the DCI tour is in a rut'.

• Haha 1

Interestingly enough, a 'resistance' to travel to the West Coast is not unique to drum corps.  My athlete has commonly had to travel to Florida, Indy, Chicago, and even Iowa to compete in National Events.  I inquired about this out of curiousity and the reasoning was "folks on the West Coast will always travel east, but those from the Midwest on East will not travel West".  Now, that is likely a bit of stereotyping as I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to travel this way, but it is an interesting point.  The conversation about the cost to travel really is mute as it costs the West Coast corps $ to travel East just as it would the opposite way.  However, keep in mind that these corps typically start their season well after other corps as schools do not release until mid-June.  In fact, a few years ago, members of the Cascades were still in school on June 23rd.   Gorgeous area to visit, but less populated and certainly further spread apart 🙂